Daily bleach usage?

kywildcats

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Mayfield, KY
I have not yet turned on my SWG, and have been using 10% bleach from Walmart. Ran an OCLT test last night and no loss. I am keeping my Chlorine target at 7.5-8 while using the bleach. I am adding 24 oz of bleach a day to keep at target range. My CYA is at 60, and I will be raising it to 70 when water temps hit about 75, and I turn on SWG. Water temp is at 67 this morning. Does that amount of bleach added each day sound about right?? I should mention that I LOVE MY SWG, as this hauling of bleach pretty much sucks!! HA

Don't look at it as oz of chlorine added, but rather FC ppm replenished. Most pools average 2-4ppm FC loss daily, more with heavy use/hot water temps, less with low use/cold temps.

It wont hurt to try and run a little lower residual until it warms up for the Cell. You are on top of this well enough that you will notice anything that starts to happen in plenty of time. I'll bet you can, and might be surpised what you get away with. In a well maintained pool like yours, and Algae outbreak won't happen overnight.

I'd be curious to see how much that liquid bleach is costing versus chlorine from the swg. In my area bleach isn't cheap is my reasoning for getting swg up n running as soon as I possibly can.

I'd be curious to see how much that liquid bleach is costing versus chlorine from the swg. In my area bleach isn't cheap is my reasoning for getting swg up n running as soon as I possibly can.

At 3.64 a gallon and using 24 oz a day, a 128 oz jug of 10% bleach is costing me about .33 cents a day. Im no math wiz, but that's what I came up with.........HA! I have about 5000 amp hours on my cell, so I am just conserving some.

Pat, I am not exactly sure what you mean? Are you saying I can keep FC number down some during this period? If so, what would you say that number could be? I appreciate it!!!

Yes, and I am saying its possible you might be able too since you are so on top of it, and you're tired of hauling. If you kick it down a couple of PPM at a time, keep it there a few days and its not enough FC, you'll be there to see the pool change. If it starts going hazy on you, simply kick the FC back up to where you had it. Blooms don't pop up up without warning in well maintained pools. The water gets hazy, then cloudy, and then starts to turn Green.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, and I am saying its possible you might be able too since you are so on top of it, and you're tired of hauling. If you kick it down a couple of PPM at a time, keep it there a few days and its not enough FC, you'll be there to see the pool change. If it starts going hazy on you, simply kick the FC back up to where you had it. Blooms don't pop up up without warning in well maintained pools. The water gets hazy, then cloudy, and then starts to turn Green.

I will try that.......thanks so much!!!

Pat, I have been keeping my FC target at 6, instead of 7.5-8 and everything is working fine. This Kentucky weather is out of control with wind and rain the last 5 days, so my water temp just wont come up. It is at 61 this morning, all though it did reach 71 last Thursday. I am saving a lot of bleach and hauling during this time, but I am ready for things to WARM UP!! Thanks again!

Pat, I have been keeping my FC target at 6, instead of 7.5-8 and everything is working fine. This Kentucky weather is out of control with wind and rain the last 5 days, so my water temp just wont come up. It is at 61 this morning, all though it did reach 71 last Thursday. I am saving a lot of bleach and hauling during this time, but I am ready for things to WARM UP!! Thanks again!

I was wondering about this the other day. Great to hear man. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.