chlorine leval in a pool with nature 2 and a borates?

Jun 15, 2009
I am tring to maintain my pool with as little chlorine leval and shocking as possible. I have a nature 2 system that states .5 ppm chlorine and shock monthly or for non chlorine systems, shock once a week with non chlorine shock. I saw the thread on the benifits of borates so I have decided to bring my borates up to 50-60ppm my question is how much clorine should I have to run and how often should I shock? Do you think I could run at .5ppm clorine and not have to shock? Do you think I could saftley run a no chlorine system and shock like every other week? please forgive me I am new too pools.
thanks again

As far as chlorine, just act as if the Nature 2 isn't there. You can't safely operate a pool with less chlorine just because you have some metal in the water from the N2.

Thumper_1151 said:
I am tring to maintain my pool with as little chlorine leval and shocking as possible. I have a nature 2 system that states .5 ppm chlorine and shock monthly or for non chlorine systems, shock once a week with non chlorine shock. I saw the thread on the benifits of borates so I have decided to bring my borates up to 50-60ppm my question is how much clorine should I have to run and how often should I shock? Do you think I could run at .5ppm clorine and not have to shock? Do you think I could saftley run a no chlorine system and shock like every other week? please forgive me I am new too pools.
thanks again

No. Nature 2 and similar products just don't deliver what they promise. Running with low FC isn't safe, sanitary or practical and the metals in the product will end up causing you more problems then good. It's a huge money maker for the pool stealers and not worth the expense. I'm a former ionizer owner and had to learn the hardway. :rant:

A properly maintained pool, with adequate chlorine and balanced water, rarely, if ever needs shocking. :wink: Since switching to BBB in 2007, I have saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars on unneccessary pool store chems trying to fix the problems the ionizer started. I have shocked my pool five times in over 2 years - three extended vacations and two winterizations. That's it.

You should read this article:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html

And this:
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=98

If you have any questions about this, don't hesitate to ask.

Ditch the N2. You won't regret it and you'll never look back. Trust me. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.