First Timer

What could be causing me to lose FC so rapidly?
At this point ... organics (algae). All that time with little to no FC caused it I'm sure. Even if the pool seems clear or you see the hint of cloudiness across your pool, that's organics. FC only drops like that from sunlight and/or organics. So now is the time to "maintain" a SLAM FC based on your CYA. So according to the SLAM page (link below), first ensure your pH is lowered to about 7.2, then increase FC to "28" based on the CYA of 70. Keep it that way and follow all the other instructions on the SLAM page. Read that page at least nice daily to remind yourself of the SLAM details, and keep maintaining the FC of 28 as constant as you can (test as frequently as needed to confirm) until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Good luck!

Yup... I just ended my own SLAM yesterday morning [emoji23][emoji23] but now that my weather is steady it will be easy to maintain :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sun was killing chlorine yesterday. FC would drop to 21-22 in 2-3 hours. I adjusted every time to 28 and it went back to 21-22. I started st 8:30 am. I tested/adjusted at 12,4,6,9 and finally at 10:15.The only time it stayed constant was from 9-10:15pm. However, when I tested again at 4 this morning it was down to 24. CC the entire time was zero until 4am today it was <.5 but not true 0. I of course bumped FC up again and will test again soon. I wouldn't think that it was take this much with the water being as clear as it is. With the high CYA I think it might have been cheaper to drain half the water and refill to reduce chlorine cost. Hopefully I'll pass an OCLT tonight and be in the clear. Temps will be in the 70's for the next two days so maybe it'll help. Any advice from the SLAM guru's???

Disappointing you didn't pass the SLAM, however even if you would've drained some water, the algae would still be in there. The FC drop of about 4 in darkness cannot be ignored. Something still remains. So while you continue to brush & clean the filter, there may be one last issue to consider. While we sound like a broken record at times, double-check any areas algae can hide. If you have a light fixture (niche), look behind it. If you have stairs, look under them or in each rung (step) if they are portable. Look under the poolside skimmer lid. Something if feeding off of your bleach and all that hard work. Bleach (chlorine) is the #1 sanitizer, so hang in there.

The only other place could be behind the steps. I just put them in this past Saturday. They are the Confer above ground cake steps with the side addition. And that whole area was scrubbed really well before I installed them to be on the safe side. I'll attempt to move them whenever I get home. I scrubbed behind them yesterday best I could without unscrewing them from the deck. Other than that I'm at a loss. I scrubbed everything twice yesterday and ran the Dolphin for 3 hours.

I can tell you this ... cake steps are notorious for holding algae - at least I've seen many of them here at TFP. The water gets inside/behind them. With little to no circulation, algae finds a great hiding spot. If you have anyway to look inside or behind them I would definitely do it.

I will also add (to make you feel better) that the SLAM I just did, my water was clear but took about 5 days of testing/dosing every 2 hours (brushing twice a day, vac when needed) to pass. I feel better mentally knowing it's clean like that because my kids have already been in it this week lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If not could I do a half drain then re-evaluate for a SLAM?
That is certainly your choice, but keep in mind once refilled the SLAM will need to continue until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. The algae will still be in the remaining water and attached to any hardware it's trying to live on. A large water exchange would also mean re-validating all levels and adjusting. Sure, the CYA would drop requiring less bleach, but that's totally up to you. We'll be here to assist either way.

I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or not. :scratch: I was hoping for one day but figured that it might take two. At least with it being the weekend I can spend most of it cleaning the pool and knowing that this is done and over. Ya gotta start somewhere.
I will also add (to make you feel better) that the SLAM I just did, my water was clear but took about 5 days of testing/dosing every 2 hours (brushing twice a day, vac when needed) to pass. I feel better mentally knowing it's clean like that because my kids have already been in it this week lol

Well we are having a nice heat up yesterday and today so I was really pushing to be done by Friday... almost 90 degrees and not even noon yet [emoji23][emoji23] pool was a must for this weekend lol

We'll I moved the steps and there it was. A small bloom hiding on the floor. I brushed 3 times and ran the Dolphin twice. I was bound and determined to not let this thing defeat me. I checked FC last night at 10 and it was 27. I woke up this morning and checked just before 7. FC was.......26!!!! CC was 0. Pool always looked clear. It might just be me knowing the numbers but it almost seems clearer now. This passes all 3 criteria for the SLAM. How long should I wait before I complete a full round of water tests to see where everything stands? Once FC is down to a normal range?

We'll I moved the steps and there it was. A small bloom hiding on the floor.
Woohoo! :party: This passes all 3 criteria for the SLAM.

dbtgallery.php

Yep, now you just let the FC slowly drop on its own and continue to monitor everything like normal. Once the FC get below 10, re-check pH and adjust. From there on, simply watch your FC level to ensure it stays in the recommended range for your current CYA. Have a great day

So my wife says I'm obsessed with the pool since I'm testing and checking and cleaning non-stop!!! (But she doesn't complain when she gets in the pool.) Everything fell in line great yesterday since the SLAM was complete. To be on the safe side I checked again middle of the day and again around 7:30 last night once the sun was off the pool. It was still light outside but no direct sun. The numbers were still great. This morning I tested at 4:30 and FC loss was around 4. The pump hadn't ran since 5 last night. Could the lack of circulation during the OCLT have thrown the numbers off?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.