need new pump- would like to get a dual speed

Jun 10, 2016
Southeast Missouri
I am needing to replace Pentair challenger 1 hp single speed- no timer installed originally, last year I manually shut it off half the day to save electric cost. Tthe Pentair pump was using a lot of electricity to run 24/7. I am reading that the dual speed are more energy efficient when running on lower speed. Local person I found that is trustworthy recommended Hayward superflo. He will install it for me, but will not add a timer. I would like to go with a dual speed pump and was wondering if I get the Hayward superflo dual speed that says it has a switch on the unit - does that switch allow me to manually change the speed when I need to. SP2610X152S is the model number of the one I am considering. Does anyone know if I buy this pump- is that all I need or do I still have to find an electrician to add another controller, timer or anything else? ( old pump is wired directly to a circuit breaker- no timer, no controller- just wired to circuit breaker)

I do not need a timer if this pump has a switch attached to the motor to switch it to low speed manually. I have no heater, no automatic vacuum, no fountains or any extra frills on the pool.
I would appreciate some help in understanding the installation of this dual speed pump: Hayward SP2610X152S .

If you don't install a timer or an on/off switch of some type near the pump you will have to do it at the breaker. Also, if you don't have a timer, you will have to remember to turn your pump on and off everyday. I prefer to have GFCI and a timer for peace of mind. Personally I have a variable speed pump for the rebates in California. Nice part about a VS is the ability to program everything right on the pump.

Oh, btw, I think you are meaning the Hayward Super Pump (Switch is on the back). "Superflo" is Pentair and it is a 1.5hp VS. :thumleft:

Last edited:
For the prices I saw for the model you listed ~550 you could get the Superflo VS pump which will install very easy and has it's own built in timer and speed control. The VS pump will be ever so slightly cheaper to operate at slow speeds but with the built in timer that could save you a ton of money from not having to remember to turn the pump on and off. Not that the dual speed is bad pump when you can get the a VS pump for 600 a dual speed for 550 doesn't seem worth it.

thanks for the response, I meant the Hayward super pump dual speed (not superflo) that says it has a switch on the motor. I do not need a timer to turn the motor off and on- I can do that manually and I can manually switch the speed when I need to- that is not a problem- the question is -is it required to have an anything additional wired by an electrician to run the Hayward super pump dual speed or is it as simple as switching the motors out? The variable speed is nice-but the price is also an issue for me, which is why I was considering the dual speed.

On the last post you said "switching the motors out"...I hope you mean the whole pump. As far as the wiring, for warranty and safety, they want a licensed electrician to do it. If it is wired correctly, it will work. If your old one is wired 115 then the Hayward Super Pump 1.5 can be wired 115 as well. Same for if it is 230.

See Pg 6
https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/SuperPump-ISSPSERIES.pdf

Yes, thanks, I have read through this manual. I understand this, the person who will install pump ( yes the entire pump motor filter basket will be replaced) used to install pools for a living and now only does some things on the side and is capable of wiring the pump- and I trust him to do it correctly. He will not install an additional controller or timer if this pump needs anything additional to be wired into the circuit in order to switch form low to high speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.