Ic40 shuts down at startup, voltage ok...

Jug831

Jul 7, 2013
Hi, hoping someone else has ran into this and can help me troubleshoot my ic40 SWG.

Installed 2012, Easytouch control center with ic40. When I start the pump, the SWG comes on as it should. The SWG starts with lights blinking, looks normal then it seems to just shut off!

Checked voltage out of the printed circuit board, checks ok at 39v. The PCB has some lights on it, most are green, but there is 1 that blinks red.....labeled D1. There is a D2 next to it which is solid green.

Any idea what D1 light indicates? The 4 wire connector coming out of the PCB has +, - for power and the other two are marked D+ and D-. So I am wondering if this has something to do with one plates not functioning properly.

Easytouch diagnostics only tells me 'no com' (of course, its not powered on!)

Thanks for any tips on where to go from here before a new ic40!

OK - Looking at schematic looks like D+ and D- are for data to the ic40 unit. So, red light likely means no data, of course as the unit is powered down (when should be running).

So now, are there any conditions which would cause sudden shutdown to an ic40? Some sort of safety which cuts it out? I could see if the flow switch was bad, but I would think that is what the red 'Flow' light is for...

Last edited:
Jug,

Well, I am a SWCG guy, but you have an unusual issue, that I have not seen before.

What lights are on the SWCG after its initial blinking on start up. Anything?

Try pushing the "more" button and hold for 4 seconds.. The % lights should start to scroll. See which one is lit.. If the 40% light is on that means the unit has 4,000 hours. 60% = 6,000 hours etc.

I'm not sure the max hours, but it might be a clue to one of our SWCG experts... edit... max hours = 10,000 - approx. 5 years per the manual

The only other thing I can think of is ... did something eat through the cable somewhere. A long shot but worth look at.

Thanks,

Jim R.

When I start the pump, the SWG will come on for maybe 3 seconds total before shutting down. No chance to check the hours. When it first comes on, the % lights come on green, red flow light comes on then red low salt and green good salt level lights alternate twice each and then it shuts down.

Jug,

Sorry I'm not help with this one... :(

Suggest your call Pentair Tech Support and see what they say.

If you discover something interesting, please report back, as we all would like to know..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for taking a look folks. I did call Pentair tech line (didn't know about that, nice to have!). Described the issue and the guy had not heard of this condition previously. He confirmed the voltage I should see coming out of the transformer (39v) and said likely cell has reached end of life (5 years old, the average is 4). Long story short, $600 later and 10 minute install and back in business! Pentair did confirm no other serviceable parts in the unit other than the flow switch, which would not cause the issue I was seeing if it failed. Now if I can get my Kreepy Krawly to stop getting tangled up, things would be good. I think some new swivels are needed, they feel gritty when rotating and getting some leakage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.