Testing question

skydiva44

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2009
Houston, Texas
I just bought Leslie's Total Poolcare DPD Test kit....I am a newbie so have no clue what I am doing or reading. My question is in the first test it says to match color standard immediately, what is the color standard, nothing was included to match colors with in the kit....thanks!
Ok never mind....found it!

Intex 18 x 48 Easy Set
SWG system

Hopefully you made a mistake when figuring the TC level. If your numbers are right, you need to shock the pool.

I am hoping that your first chlorine measurement (FC) was 5, and your next step chlorine measurement (TC) was also 5, and you wrote down 10 because 5+5 is 10. If so, that is not the right procedure, and your water is fine. The first step measures FC and the second step measures TC. CC = TC - FC.

The DPD test measures FC and TC from 0 to 5, or if you are using one to one dilution, it measures FC and TC from 0 to 10. To get the results you list, you would need to be doing the test with dilution, and have estimated the first stage color as somewhere between the 2 and 3 colors.

My manual says 3000

Another question, my manual says the gallons of water for the 18 x 48 is 5455, but the calcuator says its 7600, this could be why I'm off on a few results, because I have told the PS that it was 5455...any thoughts?

Intex Easy Set 18 x 48
SWG

My Pool Calculator assumes the walls of the pool are vertical all the way down. Most vinyl and fiberglass pools have slopes and rounded corners that the Pool Calculator does not take into account. So, it makes sense that the pool is a little smaller than it calculates.

Your CYA level is high, but livable with a SWG. It should come down on it's own over the course of the season.

So you are saying not to worry about CYA...do the other tests look ok to you, because my water is still very cloudy from the algae problem, but this morning I can't see anymore algae at the bottom and that's a plus after 3 weeks of dealing with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The TA is high, assuming the test didn't mess you up; we've seen many cases where there is a static buildup and the drops are teeny, making for too-high readings. If you wipe the tip of the bottle with a damp cloth between drops that takes care of it.

If your TA is really >200 then you probably want to lower it, as that plus the SWG will put a lot of upward pressure on your pH and you'll be dumping in a lot of acid to keep it under control.
--paulr

ok....that's how I did it. Now, I filled out the Pool Calculator and it tells me the following:

Ph - 22 oz. by weight or 19 oz. of washing soda or 44 oz of Borax

CH - add 90 oz. by weight or 72 oz of calcium chloride to lower CH, replace some water with new water

Suggested FC levels:

SWG:2 Normal 3 to 7

Shock 15

Mustard Algae Shock 24

I know I should understand what all of that means after reading pool school, but really not sure what to do next....

your ph is lower than the recommendation in pool school...I'm not sure how they got those numbers but they know a lot more than I do. the ph is in the generally acceptable range, but again, these guys are the pros.
you don't need to change your CH. it's 180 right?
assuming this is a 5455 gallon pool with an SWG and a cya of 90, your minimum free chlorine needs to be 4 per the calculator.

pool-school/recommended_levels
pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

yes, my ch is 180, but I'm not following you on the fc needs to be 4 per the calculator? Please explain in layman terms for this blonde...lol I think you are saying I need to lower my fc to 4? You are correct it is the 5455 gallon, 18 x 48 ABG with a SWG....

ok....I'm really confused on the SWG - 2, Shock 15 and Mustard Algae shock 24, I'm not sure what to do with that information or what it even means, according to the pc I need to use some Borax, add calcium chloride and drain the water down some.

My SWG does not give me a reading on the salt level, it only beeps if it is too low or too high.

Should I drain down before I add the borax and cc? Shock 15, what does the 15 mean? Mustard Algae shock 24?

I want to be absolutely sure that the algae is not growing anymore and will do whatever is best to remedy that situation.

Easy Set 18 x 48
5455 gallons
SWG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.