Testing question

I am sure everyone is out enjoying the fireworks...I can't because the dogs are scared and I am stressing over my pool because I have a lot of people coming tomorrow ready to jump in!

I thought that my pool was clear of the algae again...water was clear this morning, when I got in to vacuum, I saw some around the side. Of course, my vacuuming stirred it all up again and pool is not as gross as it was before, but not as clear as it was when I got in.

FAS-DPD - 28.5
CYA - 60

I have been testing every 30 minutes and adding bleach, liquid stabilizer and acid as instructed by the PC. After the above numbers, it did not require more bleach. I have a mental block about this mustard algae shock number, do I continue adding bleach anyway until I get the shock level up to the mustard algae shock level of 34 or just leave it alone at what the PC is saying.

With those above numbers would YOU swim in the pool tomorrow even if it is not crystal clear water? And after all the bleach I have added in the last few hours, any possibility of it being clear when I get up in the morning?

Are you seeing dusty/dirty stuff on the bottom, or something green visibly growing on the walls?

Did your FC hold overnight?

It is safe to swim UP TO your shock level. So in the morning with the cover off the pool the FC should drop rapidly and folks can swim, I wouldn't worry about that.

I'm not certain what you are seeing is algae at all, and your overnight loss test will reveal more.

Yes, I was at a friends watching fireworks. :wink: My dog was with me and hated every minute of it. :mrgreen:

No there is no green growing anywhere, just stuff settled at the bottom, I just assumed it was algae because of my previous problem, but now as you I am thinking it was just settled dirt.

My #'s at 11:30 last night were:
FAS-DPD- 30
cya - 60

This morning:
FAS-DPD - 33.5
CYA- 80

The water is cloudy this morning, barely seeing the bottom, I did use liquid stabilizer for the first time yesterday per PC instructions.

When you say it is safe to swim UP to shock level, as in this instance, CYA number is my shock level correct, so if my numbers are that number or lower it's safe and anything higher than that number it is not safe?
So sorry for all the questions this early in the morning, just trying to take it all in.....and I am leaving on a cruise next Sunday and that will be a whole different set of questions...lol Thanks FPM!

Yes, up to the "shock" level for a CYA of 80 (now :wink: )

Was your SWG on last night? Wondering why the FC went UP?

IF it's on now, shut if off and allow the level to drop before the party. Also, if it was on last night, you need it off in order to confirm any overnight FC loss. I'm guessing you had none, but the SWG needs to be off in order to know.

Have a nice day!

No SWG has not been on for awhile since I haven't had it leveled off yet with the numbers. Well, the reason it went up is probably because I added more bleach when it got so late and I didn't have an answer....I was on a mission to KILL anything that came within 2 ft. of my pool last night! :lol: No SWG will not be turned on until tonight.

Thanks again FPM...and have a great day!

I turned on my SWG last night for the first time in awhile...been trying to get rid of algae....My numbers seem high today

This morning
FAS-DPD -46
CYA -70

This afternoon
FAS-DPD - 32
CYA - 60

As I was told it was safe to swim in the pool UP to shock level, then I can only assume it is not safe at the stage it is now? Should I run the SWG tonight or wait another day?

I have not reviewed the entire thread, but I suggest you do the overnight test. This means you will turn your SWG off. :wink:

You are testing for CYA too often. How much have you added, all together? Your average CYA value (in the recent posts) is about 70. I suggest we use that # for now.

So, assuming CYA of around 70, you should be safe to swim at FC of under about 28.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have another question about the TA test...when I did it, it never went from green to red, it went to a yellowish color, I wiped the bottle tip the 2nd time I did it with the same result, what does this mean?

CYA - 60
PH- 7.8
FAS-DPD - 23

SWG-3
Normal -5-9
Shock-18
Mustard-34

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.