Testing question

Since you can't test FC, it's kind of guessing at this point. I'd keep it at shock level until the water is clear or you can confirm the levels with the FAS-dpd test. Unfortunately there are some risks allowing swimming tomorrow, and if CC's are present that could be irritating to swimmers. Just make sure your FC is up at least at the recommended normal levels, somewhere between your "target" and shock level should be safe, hopefully it will be clearer for the party. Yes, if it's going to the milky stage you are making progress. :goodjob:

I re-tested my water today here are my numbers:

tc 5
fc 5
ph 7.5
ta 180
ch 150
ca 90

SWG -4 normal 7 -12 shock -23 mustard algae - 49

The pool calculater says add 71 oz. of cc, should I do this now or should I wait until the FAS-DPD test comes in this week? Also wondering if I should be running the SWG now? Thanks!

I would go ahead and add the bleach tonight. Hopefully you'll get your kit soon. You can run your SWG to help you maintain shock level until the fas-dpd test arrives. To do the overnight FC loss test, the SWG must be off. But it can be on temporarily to help you maintain shock level. I'm not sure what setting it should be on though....

Oh, okay, we'll then set the run time to low, and you don't want your FC levels to get too high. You just want to maintain shock level. All of this is guessing of course since you can't test that high.

Yes, use it now to maintain shock level, and then turn it off to perform the overnight FC loss test.

Here are my tests for today:

TC -5
FC -5
Ph - 7.2
TA 170
CH 140
CYA 90

Pool calculator suggest the following: 30 oz. of Borax and 77 oz. of Bleach, it says adding the bleach will raise my FC by 6.88 abd raise salt by 11. Do I really want to do that? The reason I question it is because of the recommended levels for SWG Vinyl pool are as follows:

FC 3-5
ph 7.5 -7.8
TA 60 -80
CH 50 - 300
CYA 70 - 80

I'm just not really sure about the 6.88...will that be too drastic of a jump I guess is what I am really asking?

Got the notice that my FAS-DPD has been shipped! Yeah!

Your PH is fine where it is. Also, since you only have a DPD chlorine test, there is no way of knowing what your FC level actually is. I rather doubt you need to add any bleach.

In my Pool Calculator, you need to manually enter appropriate values into the Target column. From what you describe it saying, you don't have appropriate values in the target column.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are trying to do an overnight FC loss test, you should first test the FC level and then add the appropriate amount of chlorine. Then wait 30 minutes or more and after sunset, test the FC level again, and then test the FC level a third time first thing tomorrow morning.

The first FC test is to tell you how much chlorine needs to be added today. The second and third tests are part of the overnight FC loss test.

ok, I just did my first FC and CC test, my water turned more of a redish than pink color.

FC - 145 (29 drops x 5)

Then I did the cc test and it turned just a very slight shade of pink and it only took 2 drops to turn it clear again.

cc = 10

Tell me what to do now, I don't know if that is wayyy high or just right! lol

I realize I will test again when the sun goes down and in the morning, just not sure if I need to add bleach...Thanks you guys!

Duh....5, you are right so my FC is 14.5 and my CC is 1. My SWG just alarmed me that my salt level is too high, does this make any difference in whether I should add more Bleach? I assume now I need to go to the pool calculator and put these numbers in to see how much I need correct? Also, do I need to do all the other tests to put in the calculator or can I just put in these two new ones? Thanks!

I am confused again! On the pool calculator in the first box where it asks for FC, should I put the number 5 which is what I get with the little bottles with the yellow caps or the 14.5 that I get with the new FAS-DPD test? It doesn't seem to take the 14.5, and should my target be from the CYA chart? Here are my other test results for today.

FC - 5
PH - 7.5
TA - 180
CH - 150
CYA - 100

SWG - 5
Normal 8-13
Shock - 25
Mustard Algae - 54

Does this mean I still have algae even though I can't see it?

Please also see post above this one...thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.