Multiport problems?

Hi. This has been going on for a couple of seasons now. After back washing and rinsing my sand filter I come back later to find clumps of very fine silt at the bottom of my above ground pool. There is enough of this silt that it doesn't look very inviting so vacuum it up before using the pool. I've just changed the sand in the filter and it still does it. Could this be a problem in the multiport valve or perhaps I'm doing something wrong? Can the multiport valve be rebuilt? Thanks.

Welcome to TFP Tom,

You can replace a multi-port spider gasket if that's the problem but they don't usually fail in two years. It could also be a damaged lateral in the filter, but how much Sand are you seeing?

Does it happen only right after backwashing the filter, or does it happen all the time?

You may just have a little silt in the pool that's too fine for the sand filter to pick up. And since a dirty filter actually filters better than a clean filter it could be getting through the filter bed after a cleaning.

You can try a fine skimmer sock to remove it.

Just in case it is silt and not sand , this is what I go through every year opening.
I don't cover in winter, no trees, but a lot of dirt in the air/rain and snow that you don't see.Put a skimmer sock in basket, brush pool 2 -3 times a day to stir, clean sock often, it will plug easily.
With solar cover on at night, it really helps in causing the silt to settle in only a few areas piled up, then I used my water Blaster for spot cleaning.This process takes almost a week if not more to get it all out.
As far as a spider gasket, I would think if its bad already maybe you tried to move selector handle with pump still running.?
If it is silt,you can brush it and your pool will look good for about 1/2 hr and then back to a dirty floor, never had a sand issue, but I would think that stuff would not disappear like fine silt, silt is like trying to catch smoke.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.