Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dolphin M500 advice sought.

1. Back To Top    #1

Dolphin M500 advice sought.

I can get a new M500 that will be sold as a "demo" by my dealer with a 1 year warranty for $878 plus tax. No cart but I can get one from Ebay for $100 if I need it.

Yea or nay at this price? Cart necessary/desirable or not?
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir. Apera Instruments AI311 PH60 Premium Waterproof pH Pocket Tester

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dolphin M500 advice sought.

Price is always hard to evaluate. The M500's are top shelf, so brand new would be in the $1400 range, maybe more. Being a loaner/demo unit, it got "used" for sure so only you can evaluate if you think it's worth the price. Any idea on how old it is? Dolphin/Maytronics has be updating their robot lines a lot in the last year by adding features to lower end models that were once only found in the highest end models (not unlike what happens with automobiles).

So, are you the type that's ok with buying a "previously owned" used car or do you need to have a new car?

As for the caddy, I love having mine as it makes it easy to roll my S300i around....you can certainly live without one but it's kind of like not having cup holders...when you want one, you'll be annoyed you don't have one.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

DC,

Sounds like a pretty good price to me.

I'm not a caddie fan. I believe that the main reason people report the twisted cable issues is because of wrapping the cable up on the caddie.

Think ... wrapping an extension card the way you are not supposed too... Once it stays wrapped for a while it takes a set and is hard to untangle.

I like to just lay my cable out along side the pool... something Dolphin says to do from time to time anyway.

I don't have the M500, but I love my robot....

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

The M500 will be brand new in the box. Each dealer is allowed one "demo" unit per year. I don't know if he gets it free or at a really reduced price. He doesn't have demand for top of the line units so he is willing to get the deal for me.
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir. Apera Instruments AI311 PH60 Premium Waterproof pH Pocket Tester

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by DigitallyChallenged View Post
    The M500 will be brand new in the box. Each dealer is allowed one "demo" unit per year. I don't know if he gets it free or at a really reduced price. He doesn't have demand for top of the line units so he is willing to get the deal for me.
    Oooooooooooooooh....I see now....yeah, even without the caddy I think that's a great price. But he might be stiffing you on the warranty as I think they're longer than a year. My S300i brand new has a 24 month bumper-to-bumper warranty that literally covers everything, even the wearable components like tracks and brushes.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

I would pass personally unless you can get the warranty higher, have a credit card that will make it longer, can get an extended warranty from squaretrade or someone. I wouldn't do less than 2 years honestly on warranty. Too many things to break and every part is at least 200 dollars.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

Did you ever pull the trigger on the M500? I'm finding refurbs on PoolPartz and EZtestPools for $899 with 1 year warranty. As robl45 mentioned, the warranty might cause the concern.
    14K IG 12'x30' Rectangle Vinyl Salt Water Pool
    Hayward Aqua Rite AQR15 PL-PLUS
    Hayward SP2603VSP Super Pump VS
    Hayward 300lb Sand Filter
    Dolphin Active 30i AND Skim Devil Camio SX15

8. Back To Top    #8

Looking Also ....

https://www.amazon.com/Dolphin-Premi...n+Supreme+M500

trying to find out if this amazon listing is the new model with Blue Tooth ....

I am a polaris guy now (20 years) and its about toast ...been rebuilt several times but the main frame is cracked ...

Just talked to Maytronics and if you buy online it voids the warranty ....
    24K Marcite 1.5 Pentair Pump 380 Polaris

9. Back To Top    #9

Offthefront, the link you provided goes to the Dolphin Premier which is not the M500. It is similar to the Dolphin Triton.
    14K IG 12'x30' Rectangle Vinyl Salt Water Pool
    Hayward Aqua Rite AQR15 PL-PLUS
    Hayward SP2603VSP Super Pump VS
    Hayward 300lb Sand Filter
    Dolphin Active 30i AND Skim Devil Camio SX15

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by simo711 View Post
    Did you ever pull the trigger on the M500? I'm finding refurbs on PoolPartz and EZtestPools for $899 with 1 year warranty. As robl45 mentioned, the warranty might cause the concern.
    I posted in my other thread that I placed an order Friday and it is expected in this week. My price is about the same but I do have to pay tax. I am getting a new unit as a demo so I'm willing to pay a little more. My dealer will give me a receipt for it and I should not have a problem if I need credit card extended warranty. Hopefully I won't need the extra year...

11. Back To Top    #11

Mine is in the 4th season, and acting like new after I replaced the tracks, and foam climbing rings. He's had a tough life, and still going strong.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem