removing cover question

Nov 14, 2015
Chicagoland, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We're getting ready to open our pool within the next week or so. Water temp near the top sometimes exceeds 60, a couple inches down the temp is around 58.

So our question: we have rayner cover that attaches to the deck with springs. The cover is giant, and heavy. Last year when removing, we ended up dumping whatever was on the cover into the murky swamp, and had to fight with dragging the cover through the water, which is just heavy. We made the error of trying to grab one end and fold it over towards the other, but that just acted like a parachute.

So, is our only option really to just drag it through the water? The cover is L shaped, 38' x 28' on the long sides. It has mesh panels.

I stand at one end of the pool and have my son at the other. I have the springs on one side already off and begin to fold the cover toward the other end, keeping the cover pulled tight. I release one spring at a time and continue to fold toward the other end until I get to the end. We end with the cover on the pool deck along the side and I let it dry as I continue opening the pool. When dry, I roll it toward the deep end and once rolled, put it in the bag. When closing comes, I know to start at that corner of the pool and my cover will unroll exactly where it should. I then unfold as I pull it across the pool. I have had good luck with this for several years.

One spring at a time is a great idea! I think we are pulling g the cover off today after work. I'm seeing some algae growing on top of the cover where some water ponds, but none so far in the pool. Temp in the top 6 inches was above 60 today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.