Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: removing cover question

1. Back To Top    #1

removing cover question

We're getting ready to open our pool within the next week or so. Water temp near the top sometimes exceeds 60, a couple inches down the temp is around 58.

So our question: we have rayner cover that attaches to the deck with springs. The cover is giant, and heavy. Last year when removing, we ended up dumping whatever was on the cover into the murky swamp, and had to fight with dragging the cover through the water, which is just heavy. We made the error of trying to grab one end and fold it over towards the other, but that just acted like a parachute.

So, is our only option really to just drag it through the water? The cover is L shaped, 38' x 28' on the long sides. It has mesh panels.
    27,000 gal. plaster IG with round spa built in 2007. TFT-100 test kit XL w/ Speedstir
    Jandy CL580 cartridge filter. Jandy 1.0 hp filter pump, 1.5 hp booster/spa? pump.
    Aqualink RS One Touch controls. Paramount PC2000 In-floor cleaning system (1.0 hp pump?). Jandy LX pool heater, apparently broken.
    Missing so much gear due to previous foreclosure, it's sad.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: removing cover question

Pump the water off it.

18000 IG, SWG, 1/2 HP Tri Star + Solar PV direct DC Lorentz pump, Sand filtrt
    20000 gallon, Vinyl liner IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

3. Back To Top    #3

We've pumped the water down so it's below the cover. Cover has mesh panels so we have to drop the level in the whole pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

I stand at one end of the pool and have my son at the other. I have the springs on one side already off and begin to fold the cover toward the other end, keeping the cover pulled tight. I release one spring at a time and continue to fold toward the other end until I get to the end. We end with the cover on the pool deck along the side and I let it dry as I continue opening the pool. When dry, I roll it toward the deep end and once rolled, put it in the bag. When closing comes, I know to start at that corner of the pool and my cover will unroll exactly where it should. I then unfold as I pull it across the pool. I have had good luck with this for several years.
    SCon36

24,000 Gallon IG vinyl pool (16x36x8) with Hayward S200 sand filter and Hayward pump and heat pump. Built August 2011. I use a Taylor K-2005 test kit with a K-1515 add on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgL...0MyAw&index=29

5. Back To Top    #5

I let my cover drag in the water then set it out in the yard to dry before folding it up. On a sunny day it'll dry in a few hours and that isn't long enough to kill the grass.
    In-ground 15x30 concrete pool with vinyl liner
    Triton II sand filter, Hayward Pump, Raypak 266 heater
    Rehab thread: Pool rehab, need advice

6. Back To Top    #6

One spring at a time is a great idea! I think we are pulling g the cover off today after work. I'm seeing some algae growing on top of the cover where some water ponds, but none so far in the pool. Temp in the top 6 inches was above 60 today.