Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: opening pool, green color in beginning, pool store wants to sell more stuff

1. Back To Top    #1

opening pool, green color in beginning, pool store wants to sell more stuff

Opening pool started on 4-13-17, removed cover dirtiest I've ever seen it. lots of dirt, leaves, very green. As of today and adding about 17lbs of shock, 5lbs Lo and slo, 24lbs baking soda it is a light green, still can't see bottom at the 8' level. Pool store says add more shock. readings from test strip about 20mins ago are PH-8.4, FC- 0, TA- closer to 240 than 180. CYA- 150.
    new to taking care of the pool, any help is appreciated. located in Ga. west of ATL.
    Approx. 19Kgal, Grecian 16'x32',IG Vinyl, Built 2-2001Sta-rite sand filter (T-200BP-1), pump/motor Hayward-continuous-3450rpm, 1HP. Polaris 380, (I rebuilt 2016), PB4-60Q booster pump 2007 replaced. Old pool cover will need replacing at end of season. City water. Hope liner last till summer of 2019

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: opening pool, green color in beginning, pool store wants to sell more stuff

You need to shock with CHLORINE, knowing your CyA concentration you need a partial drain too. DON'T add "Shock"! Bring it back.

This is the tried and true way, called SLAM here. Get a good test kit as indicated here and STAY OUT OF THE POOL STORE unless it is to buy Muriatic Acid and maybe liquid chlorine.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the advice. Hate to hear about the partial drain. I'm at wits end so will hit it with chlorine tonight, out of town for 2 days tomorrow and if the chlorine hasn't helped I'll do the partial drain and start over.
    Approx. 19Kgal, Grecian 16'x32',IG Vinyl, Built 2-2001Sta-rite sand filter (T-200BP-1), pump/motor Hayward-continuous-3450rpm, 1HP. Polaris 380, (I rebuilt 2016), PB4-60Q booster pump 2007 replaced. Old pool cover will need replacing at end of season. City water. Hope liner last till summer of 2019

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I wouldn't do a thing until I tested the water with my own GOOD test kit. Test strip readings are worthless.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

You'd have to add an absolute ton of chlorine to overcome CYA of 150 with it being green. Save the time AND money on that and order one of our recommended test kits. WAIT till you have time to drain it half way and retest. That TA is outta site too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, I will get a test kit first. Been looking a SLAMing in pool school just to get a feel for how to.

- - - Updated - - -

Will order and test first. Thks for the info. Heading to TFtestkits now.