Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bulk Liquid Chlorine - Long Island

1. Back To Top    #1

Bulk Liquid Chlorine - Long Island

I am wondering if anyone has found a source of bulk chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) that is equal to or better in price that BJ's of $14 per 4 gallon case?

Is there any suppliers willing to sell by the pallet? I would be willing to share with out BBB/TFP users. If possible have a shipment every month or so.

Any ideas on how to convince one of the few local bulk suppliers to deal with average joe home owner?
    -20' x 40' Inground vinyl - 35,000 gal
    -Hayward super pump 1.5hp - 1.5" pipe
    -Hayward Sand Filter S244T
    -Aquabot Classic (old but still works)
    -Stenner install in progress.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bulk Liquid Chlorine - Long Island

Have you called around to the local pool stores to check them out for liquid chlorine?

How about local janitorial supply houses?

Don't forget that you need to store chlorine in a cool space to maintain its potency. You shouldn't buy more than a months worth of recently manufactured liquid chlorine.

Good luck!

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

From what I have found over the past couple of years is either BJ's or walmart are the most cost effective but not the most reliable in available stock. I would really prefer to not have to lug so many bottle around. Ideally I would like to buy it in 5 gallon jugs 3 or 4 at a time (basically a month plus worth of chlorine).

I have tried calling a couple of bulk chemical distributors but none want to sell me a barrels worth (not sure how I would move a 55 drum of it either) or deal with average Joe home owner.

I would consider buying a pallets worth or a drum from a mfg if I could split it with some local people and get a delivery every month or so.

If anyone is interested in this let me know, I am in Hauppauge.

4. Back To Top    #4

Try Ocean State Job Lot. It is not bulk but they sell gallon jugs of 12.5 for $2.99 for the last four years (haven't seen the price for this year yet). It always fresh.
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade, Maytronics Active 30i cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir, WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

5. Back To Top    #5

There's a place in Farmingdale on Conklin St, one block west of Marjam (Twin County Pools) that sells 5 gallon carboys of 12.5% chlorine. It's $40 for the first time, then $22 (tax included) for refills. Also, as mentioned above, Ocean State on Deer Park Ave in North Babylon sells the 12% by case (4 gallon) for $12 + tax. It's a good deal, but not sure how old the jugs are. It's those two or Island Recreation, they have e-mail coupons for .99 cents for 6%. I usually go with them because a case of 6% for $4 is the best value I've found over the last 5 years.
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

What I seemed to have found out is that most manufacturers sell in the full truckload when it's gallons in a case on a pallet. Which would explain why some places don't always have fresh stock on hand.

BJ's ($14/4 gal) or ocean State ($12/4 gal) seem like the best deal. The 5 gallon carboys are a little more but good to know it's available.