New Pool, Robotic Cleaner?

Sep 28, 2016
Central, Illinois
Hey all,

I got my 18'x33' Above ground pool installed last Sept. Got the water in and levels right then shut it down for winter.

I just refilled it today and am running the Diver Dave pool cleaner. This pool cleaner got good reviews, but it only wants to clean a small area, Maybe it works better in a Round pool, but in my pool it just keeps spinning circles.

Anyway, I was thinking perhaps a Robotic (Smart) pool cleaner would work much better and much more efficiently.. Can anyone suggest a good one? I don't want to spend $1000, but I want the darn thing to work.

Thanks for the help!

-ThaChad

I love mine! I have the Pool Rover S2-50. I wanted something that I would not need to babysit while I got other things done..I have had it for about 2 years. I believe I paid around $350 for mine. 20150410_102029_resized.jpg

I have the Dolphin Oasis Z5 and love it. I think I got a little carried away and got a more expensive one than I needed, but it works like a charm. I throw it in, hit the start button and walk away. 2 1/2 hours later, my pool is clean.

Oh.

I was hoping/figuring on Robotic cleaners to be like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYDoEv9guok

The Random thing never seems to work right..
Not at $350.

My Pool Rover works in a pattern and does a decent job. It moves forward and backwards. Straight in 1 direction, and then it curves going the other way. You can control the direction it turns by moving a pin on one of the axles to the other side of the axle.

Aquabot Pool Rover Junior Robotic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner - YouTube

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I purchased a like new Aquabot Pool Rover Jr. from a member.

It works marginally better than the Aqua Bug, but it still goes over the same spots over and over and over and over and misses 1/3 of the pool. I restart it 2x-3x and it still never gets the areas it misses.

I don't know if this problem is because I have an Oval pool instead of Round, but I even went along the outside and swept everything to the middle hoping it would get picked up, and no.

There is virtually no point in having an Automatic pool cleaner if I have to go back and clean up after it.

I Have tried the wheel pin in every position and completely removed.

I can't imagine that a different model of Robot that functions similar (Random) will do any better? But maybe?

If not, I guess an expensive (smart) robot will be the way to go?

Thanks,

-ThaChad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The filter box seems small on the unit in the video you posted. The S100/Saturn has a large basket with two types of filter see here - Dolphin S100 - quick user guide - YouTube

Oh, The video I posted was just to show how the unit covered every inch of the pool, because it's "Smart" computer controlled logic. Vs the random almost worthless action of the Suction pool cleaners and the basic "robot" cleaners like the Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.

-ThaChad

ah okay :). Description of S100/Saturn says computer logic..."CleverCleanTM Pool Coverage: Precise navigation system Maytronic’s famous microchip technology has been enhanced creating the CleverClean precise navigation of the entire pool. Obstacle Escape System prevents cleaner from becoming trapped"

I've researched this quite a bit and decided I'll be going with Maytronics S100 aka Doheny Saturn.

http://www.doheny.com/poolsupplies/Doheny-S-Saturn-Powered-By-Dolphin.html

I tend to agree with you that the S100 seem's like dollar for dollar the best value.

My only reserve is that it doesn't have a remote? I think I have decided that Atleast if I have one one a remote, that If it misses any part of the pool, I can manually "drive" it to clean that area. Of course the hope is that I would never NEED the remote as It would do it's job with out intervention. But Being my 3rd Pool vac in 6 months trying to find one that actually DOES it's job, I have little faith..

-ThaChad

I have the pool rover jr. It cleans just OK. My biggest gripe is that the cord is constantly tangled keeping it from reaching the far side of the pool. Second biggest gripe is that the bag is kind of a pain to empty. The random-ness of the pattern still cleans the pool quick enough unless the cord gets tangled, which happens a lot. I will buy a S100 when​ the pool rover jr stops working.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.