Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pool, Robotic Cleaner?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool, Robotic Cleaner?

Hey all,

I got my 18'x33' Above ground pool installed last Sept. Got the water in and levels right then shut it down for winter.

I just refilled it today and am running the Diver Dave pool cleaner. This pool cleaner got good reviews, but it only wants to clean a small area, Maybe it works better in a Round pool, but in my pool it just keeps spinning circles.

Anyway, I was thinking perhaps a Robotic (Smart) pool cleaner would work much better and much more efficiently.. Can anyone suggest a good one? I don't want to spend $1000, but I want the darn thing to work.

Thanks for the help!

-ThaChad
    Trendium Pool Products Inc. (Vogue) - Azor 18' x 33' x 54" AGP - (15,700g)
    - Pentair Clean & Clear 150SQ/FT 1.5HP 2 Speed Cartridge Filter System (PNCC0150OF2160)
    - Hayward AquaTrol Salt Chlorine Generator (AQ-TROL-RJ)
    - Dolphin Nautilus with CleverClean

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool, Robotic Cleaner?

I love mine! I have the Pool Rover S2-50. I wanted something that I would not need to babysit while I got other things done..I have had it for about 2 years. I believe I paid around $350 for mine. 20150410_102029_resized.jpg
    Cornelius 15 Round , Semi Inground, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir,
    Hayward 2 Speed Pump Swimpro 150 Cartridge Filter,Intermatic Timer, Hardplumbed,
    Pool Rover S2-50, 2 Maytronics Solara Heating System Panels.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the Dolphin Oasis Z5 and love it. I think I got a little carried away and got a more expensive one than I needed, but it works like a charm. I throw it in, hit the start button and walk away. 2 1/2 hours later, my pool is clean.
    18'x24' Rectangle (3' 6" to 5' 5") - 11K gal. Saltwater w/ Blue Granit Pebblesheen
    Pentair equipment (IntelliFlo 3050 VS/SVRS Pump, 60 sq. ft. DE filter, Intellichlor Salt system, MasterTemp 400000 BTU heater
    Easy Touch 4 w/ Screen Logic automation, 3 GlowBrite LED Pool Lights) My build log

4. Back To Top    #4

I have owned the Dolphin Nautilus Plus now for a few weeks. Love my little "Flipper".
    19328 Gallon Above-Ground Pool. Clean&Clear Pentair Cartridge Filter. Opti-flo 2 Stage 1.5hp Pump. Dolphin Nautilus Plus "Flipper" Robot. Established April 2016. Taylor K-2006. Chlorine Based. 340gallon Marquis Spa. Bromine based. Established 2007.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by TSiGirl View Post
    I love mine! I have the Pool Rover S2-50. I wanted something that I would not need to babysit while I got other things done..I have had it for about 2 years. I believe I paid around $350 for mine. 20150410_102029_resized.jpg

Thanks for the reply, That price I can handle.

Does it clean in a pattern? or random?

Thanks,

-ThaChad
    - Pentair Clean & Clear 150SQ/FT 1.5HP 2 Speed Cartridge Filter System (PNCC0150OF2160)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ThaChad View Post
    Thanks for the reply, That price I can handle.

Does it clean in a pattern? or random?

Thanks,

-ThaChad
    It seems random to me..
    Cornelius 15 Round , Semi Inground, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir,
    Hayward 2 Speed Pump Swimpro 150 Cartridge Filter,Intermatic Timer, Hardplumbed,
    Pool Rover S2-50, 2 Maytronics Solara Heating System Panels.

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh.

I was hoping/figuring on Robotic cleaners to be like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYDoEv9guok

The Random thing never seems to work right..

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ThaChad View Post
    Oh.

I was hoping/figuring on Robotic cleaners to be like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYDoEv9guok

The Random thing never seems to work right..
    Not at $350.

My Pool Rover works in a pattern and does a decent job. It moves forward and backwards. Straight in 1 direction, and then it curves going the other way. You can control the direction it turns by moving a pin on one of the axles to the other side of the axle.

Aquabot Pool Rover Junior Robotic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner - YouTube

Above Ground 30' x 52" AquaLeader Blues pool
    Pentair Dynamo 120v 1.5hp pump w/Sand Dollar 40 filter
    Hayward Skimmer
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool installed and filled 6/27/14

9. Back To Top    #9

I purchased a like new Aquabot Pool Rover Jr. from a member.

It works marginally better than the Aqua Bug, but it still goes over the same spots over and over and over and over and misses 1/3 of the pool. I restart it 2x-3x and it still never gets the areas it misses.

I don't know if this problem is because I have an Oval pool instead of Round, but I even went along the outside and swept everything to the middle hoping it would get picked up, and no.

There is virtually no point in having an Automatic pool cleaner if I have to go back and clean up after it.

I Have tried the wheel pin in every position and completely removed.

I can't imagine that a different model of Robot that functions similar (Random) will do any better? But maybe?

If not, I guess an expensive (smart) robot will be the way to go?

Thanks,

-ThaChad

10. Back To Top    #10

I've researched this quite a bit and decided I'll be going with Maytronics S100 aka Doheny Saturn.

http://www.doheny.com/poolsupplies/D...y-Dolphin.html
    15'x30'x52” 12K gallon Wilbar Discovery/Innovation Resin AGP buried 2’ w/ wood deck. Hard plumbed Pentair 1.5HP 2SP Dynamo pump, Pentair SD40 sand filter, Pentair iCHLOR 30 SWG
    500 gallon spa w/ ozonator using Dichlor/chlorine. TF-100, Taylor K-1766, & Speedstir. Dolphin S100 "Flóki". My 2017 Build Thread
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool Supporter! // AmazonSmile: You shop. Amazon gives.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by IrishEyesSmiling View Post
    I've researched this quite a bit and decided I'll be going with Maytronics S100 aka Doheny Saturn.

Does it actually climb the walls in an AGP? Is it "Smart" or Random?

Does it work like this:
    Dolphin Automatic Pool Cleaner - YouTube

Thanks,

-ThaChad

12. Back To Top    #12

From what I've read a vinyl pool only needs one brush. Yes, it climbs walls and cleans the waterline. From the video I don't see how whole leafs would be captured - that filter box seems small.
    15'x30'x52” 12K gallon Wilbar Discovery/Innovation Resin AGP buried 2’ w/ wood deck. Hard plumbed Pentair 1.5HP 2SP Dynamo pump, Pentair SD40 sand filter, Pentair iCHLOR 30 SWG
    500 gallon spa w/ ozonator using Dichlor/chlorine. TF-100, Taylor K-1766, & Speedstir. Dolphin S100 "Flóki". My 2017 Build Thread
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool Supporter! // AmazonSmile: You shop. Amazon gives.

13. Back To Top    #13

From the video I don't see how whole leafs would be captured - that filter box seems small.
    But your going with it anyway?

I do get some leaves, most of them get skimmed. Most of the stuff at the bottom of my pool is dust/dirt that collects in the crevices in the liner. I have a farm field behind my house, so they create a lot of dust.

Thanks,

-ThaChad

14. Back To Top    #14

The filter box seems small on the unit in the video you posted. The S100/Saturn has a large basket with two types of filter see here - Dolphin S100 - quick user guide - YouTube

15. Back To Top    #15

The filter box seems small on the unit in the video you posted. The S100/Saturn has a large basket with two types of filter see here - Dolphin S100 - quick user guide - YouTube
    Oh, The video I posted was just to show how the unit covered every inch of the pool, because it's "Smart" computer controlled logic. Vs the random almost worthless action of the Suction pool cleaners and the basic "robot" cleaners like the Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.

-ThaChad

16. Back To Top    #16

ah okay . Description of S100/Saturn says computer logic..."CleverCleanTM Pool Coverage: Precise navigation system Maytronic’s famous microchip technology has been enhanced creating the CleverClean precise navigation of the entire pool. Obstacle Escape System prevents cleaner from becoming trapped"

17. Back To Top    #17

I tend to agree with you that the S100 seem's like dollar for dollar the best value.

My only reserve is that it doesn't have a remote? I think I have decided that Atleast if I have one one a remote, that If it misses any part of the pool, I can manually "drive" it to clean that area. Of course the hope is that I would never NEED the remote as It would do it's job with out intervention. But Being my 3rd Pool vac in 6 months trying to find one that actually DOES it's job, I have little faith..

-ThaChad

18. Back To Top    #18

I have the pool rover jr. It cleans just OK. My biggest gripe is that the cord is constantly tangled keeping it from reaching the far side of the pool. Second biggest gripe is that the bag is kind of a pain to empty. The random-ness of the pattern still cleans the pool quick enough unless the cord gets tangled, which happens a lot. I will buy a S100 when​ the pool rover jr stops working.

Above Ground 30' x 52" AquaLeader Blues pool
    Pentair Dynamo 120v 1.5hp pump w/Sand Dollar 40 filter
    Hayward Skimmer
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool installed and filled 6/27/14

19. Back To Top    #19

I bought the dolphin escape. Works good at 500 bucks.
    15'x30'x54" semi inground sharkline extruder 5000, 12,000ish gallons, Hayward EC65A DE filter, auto pilot digital nano+ PPM2/PPC2 manifold SWCG, Aquacal T115 heat pump, 1.5hp pump, hard plumbing, k-2006 test kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Kneichko View Post
    I bought the dolphin escape. Works good at 500 bucks.
    You have a oval pool right?

Does it ever miss anything?

Thanks.

-ThaChad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast