No CYA green pool - what to I do first slam or add cyanuric acid?

FC 3.0
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 140
CH 100
CA 0
SC 2000

use my Taylor K 2006 daS fmd and k 1766. Live just south of Atlanta.

appreciate help and advice! First year trying this method and I am a newbie I have stocked up on 10% bleach from Walmart today

Ready to get my pool clear. Just ordered a new dolphin premier pool cleaner which will be here tomorrow

Thanks!

In that case, change of plans. CYA of "30" and FC of 12. Get that stabilizer in there first though to protect the pool surfaces.

Oh, before increasing the FC, make sure to lower the pH to 7.2. Review everything on the SLAM page (link below) and you'll do fine. Good luck!

Still waiting on cya levels to rise. Ph is at 7.2. Adding two gallons of bleach at night. Pool is still green. I have been brushing the pool daily. Just got our new dolphin premier robot. I know there is still debris in the deep end and can't get to it with the net. We have a hise bass vacuum we have used but it is slow. Should we wait to put the robot in the water until the pool clears up to use the cleaner?
Thanks
robin

I would be careful about dropping the Dolphin in there if you're not sure about the amount of bulk debris. Folks usually rely on raking/brushing to sift-out debris until they can see (somewhat) or to feel confident there's nothing too large down their for a Dolphin/Robot cleaner.

Now the CYA should've increased by now since you added socks two days ago. I'm assuming the granules are all dissolved? Are you seeing ANY increase in CYA? Does it appear close to 30? Are you confident in doing the CYA test? If there is no increase or you are not sure about the test, let me know and we'll adjust accordingly.

Just tested cya and no cloudiness. I had new reagent since I ran out. I tested end of last season so I think I am ok with that. Socks are getting smaller. We added one gallon of liquid cya yesterday hoping it would help. I am going out and squeezing them as much as I can. Thank goodness I have my POP.

B&R, the liquid conditioner should've registered by now, so I'd like for you to do the following:
1. Begin your SLAM and dose FC up to SLAM level. If your CYA test is showing as zero, it may have converted to ammonia, so use a SLAM/Shock FC of "10". Do not add any additional CYA at this point.
2. Retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
a. If FC loss is greater than 50% (drops below 5ppm), add bleach immediately to bring back FC up to SLAM level and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
b. IF FC loss is 50% or less (5 or above), add FC to bring back up to SLAM level. Go to Step 3.
3. If CYA is still below 30 ppm, add enough CYA to bring level up to 30 ppm.
4. Now increase FC slightly back to "12" and continue SLAM as directed in the SLAM article until the SLAM Criteria of Done are met. Test as directed in the SLAM article - no longer need to test FC at 10 minute increments at this point.

It's very important you test every 10 minutes in that beginning portion. Follow those steps to the letter and it should get your water back on track so that you can do the SLAM properly. I suspect the winter conditions and lack of CYA created more of an aggressive situation in your water which is why we need to follow those steps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
B&R, the liquid conditioner should've registered by now, so I'd like for you to do the following:

It's very important you test every 10 minutes in that beginning portion. Follow those steps to the letter and it should get your water back on track so that you can do the SLAM properly. I suspect the winter conditions and lack of CYA created more of an aggressive situation in your water which is why we need to follow those steps.

Ok ok tested this am.

Fc 1.5
cc 1.0
cya still below 30

added bleach each and waited 10 minutes

no change in levels

Added more and still no change after ten minutes.

How long one after adding bleach do I start the testing?

The the pool color does look better

I put in five 10% bleach and tested after ten minutes . I used 10 mi sample and it only took 3 drops to turn clear. So that's 1.5 right? This is trying my POP lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes if u see above. The cya was not coming up so Texas splash said to start the slam. It said to test every ten minutes. I haven't seen a change. Going to check again soon. Had to take a phone call for work.

Thanks.

I put in five 10% bleach and tested after ten minutes . I used 10 mi sample and it only took 3 drops to turn clear. So that's 1.5 right?
Hummmm :confused: Lets ask a couple more questions because something's not right.
- Is all that bleach from Wal-Mart (Pool Essentials)? Any chance it's old or was stored outside where it may actually be much less strength? Bleach bottles "should" have a Julian Date on each bottle. Today's Julian Date is 7110 (2017 - 111 day).
- 10 ml sample w/ one heaping scoop of powder is correct. Number of drops divided by 2, so your 3 drops does = 1.5.
- Any chance your pool volume is actually larger than 33K?
- In the past, have there been any other pool store products? Some products can impact FC testing.

Hummmm :confused: Lets ask a couple more questions because something's not right.
- Is all that bleach from Wal-Mart (Pool Essentials)? Any chance it's old or was stored outside where it may actually be much less strength? Bleach bottles "should" have a Julian Date on each bottle. Today's Julian Date is 7110 (2017 - 111 day).
- 10 ml sample w/ one heaping scoop of powder is correct. Number of drops divided by 2, so your 3 drops does = 1.5.
- Any chance your pool volume is actually larger than 33K?
- In the past, have there been any other pool store products? Some products can impact FC testing.

Walmart bleach. I purchased at two different locations. Some do not have the stamp and a few have 17 10...

33000 should be the volume

no pool store chemicals since last July I finished the pool year with TFP last season

should I add four of the 17 dated bottles? How long does it take to show up? The green pool color is getting lighter.

Thanks!

Okay, so based on our last discussion, we confirmed how much CYA was previously added (1 gal of liquid and about 2 lbs granular), and we suspect that CYA is still low and/or there's a possible ammonia issue. Because the FC is crashing so hard, we'll continue with the 10-min drill, using an initial 3 gallons (or 3 Gal 1 Qt) of 10% and continue to perform that 10-min drill in an effort to get the FC to reach and stay at "10". With a vinyl liner, we don't want FC too high with little to no CYA. Remember that once the FC begins to hold, you won't need as much bleach to reach the desired FC level. 3 gallons & 1 Quart takes FC from zero to 10. One gallon of 10% should increase FC by about 3 ppm.

Once you are able to break through that wall and get the water to hold FC between 6-10, then we can increase the CYA some more and you'll be on the road to a productive SLAM. We'll watch for updates. Good luck!

Don't forget to takes pics each day!

Okay, so based on our last discussion, we confirmed how much CYA was previously added (1 gal of liquid and about 2 lbs granular), and we suspect that CYA is still low and/or there's a possible ammonia issue. Because the FC is crashing so hard, we'll continue with the 10-min drill, using an initial 3 gallons (or 3 Gal 1 Qt) of 10% and continue to perform that 10-min drill in an effort to get the FC to reach and stay at "10". With a vinyl liner, we don't want FC too high with little to no CYA. Remember that once the FC begins to hold, you won't need as much bleach to reach the desired FC level. 3 gallons & 1 Quart takes FC from zero to 10. One gallon of 10% should increase FC by about 3 ppm.

Once you are able to break through that wall and get the water to hold FC between 6-10, then we can increase the CYA some more and you'll be on the road to a productive SLAM. We'll watch for updates. Good luck!

Don't forget to takes pics each day!

So the free chlorine is still not holding. Cc is at 4. I went to get more bleach and burn some reagent cause I am almost out of reagent. Ordered some from here. The pool store near me was out. I took out my other less reliable kit (Clorox). And with four drops it is dark yellow >4 and with two drops it matches the 4.0. So maybe it is at 8??? Wonder if something is wrong with my test powder or reagent?

I also purchased a leaf rake and have cleaned a bunch out of the deep end (pine straw). I should have buff arms by June with all the brushing etc.

Robin

Wonder if something is wrong with my test powder or reagent?
The powder & drops can last a solid season and a bit longer if it was always stored indoors and away from direct sunlight. The fact that your FC is staying low and CC shooting-up really shows your water is struggling to fight back. Shame you're about to run-out of reagents. Something else I thought about later .... you might consider on your next bleach run grabbing some of the regular Great Value bleach at Wal-Mart. I know that stock usually gets re-stocked so it should be fresh - just in case. Just remember it's 8.25% though and not 10%. I hope you have enough reagents to break-through this stubborn part so you can at least be ready for the normal SLAM. Keep us posted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.