PH: 7.5
TA: 60
CH: 425
CYA: 70 (not tested, previous value)
Temp: 74
Salt: 3600
CSI: -0.46

Looking good!

Turned SWG on @ 25% this morning after being off since last Tuesday while I brough the FC down from 14ppm.

I just got my pool basically balanced the way I want it to be or close to the way I want it to be. I saw in another thread about using Borates. I would need some 38 pounds of boric acid to get to 50ppm, maybe a little less as I think I've slightly over-estimated my pool volume. I'm not doing this right away as I just got to the numbers above today after a week of adjusting the CyA mostly, then the pH and TA but am considering doing it. The TA and pH held since Saturday afternoon which is a good thing and I'll be monitoring it going forward. I just wanted this in my back pocket if I start seeing swings. What do all you experts think?

Thanks pooldv.. I'll monitor this week and maybe next. If pH keeps raising I'll procure 50 lbs from Duad Diesel. I have an inkling pH wiil keep rising. When I took over the pool maintenance from my pool guy it was pretty high and he told me he added acid every week.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The only thing holding me back was that I read in Borates thread on here that there was potentially an increased risks to dogs. I've been trying to teach them to drink out of a water bowl I always leave out but it still happens where they'll take a sip from the pool. Not to mention we sometimes leave them outside while we're gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was hoping some other folks would chime in but I think it's because there isn't a whole lot of info out there on the topic. I've done some googling and can't find much definitive either way. I think the general consensus is that it is toxic to dogs at high levels, but at what levels is it OK? And what level would you be willing to take that risk? I know I'd be sleeping out by the pool if the wife found out I put something in the pool that hurt the dogs.

That being said, in general I don't think a dog should use a pool as it's main source of water. If it does, I could potentially see this causing problems in some dogs. If your dog takes the occasional sip, it's probably fine but I don't think I'm going to risk it.

If your dogs are retrieving from the pool or swimming around with a toy in their mouth, they may swallow a lot of water without appearing to drink because their mouth will be open and at water level. None of our dogs lap water from the pool like they would from a bowl, but they still take on quite a lot while swimming. I don't think it's worth the risk.

Here, Borates - Why and How, it says this:

In all cases, you should train your pets to not drink from the pool. There are various chemicals in the pool that pose some risk to pets. Dogs that get all of their drinking water from the swimming pool should still not show any symptoms from borates. However, they would be close to the threshold for showing symptoms, rather than 1/100th the level for showing symptoms, as would be required for human safety.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.