Resurfacing options

WOW! $7500 for AquaBright....I'd do that in a heartbeat. Given they usually come with a pretty impressive warranty, that's a steal.

Let me show you something -

61ed7bded10e52bfd6e0f2a1b472a765.jpg

That was a bubble/crack/delamination in my Caribbean Blue standard PebbleTek coating. Notice something? Look at how faded that color is. You know how old that surface is? Less than 4 years old. Now, know this - I have only ever SLAM'ed my pool once and it was a very short SLAM. My chemistry has always been balanced and I have kept my pool water in impeccable shape since the very beginning.

And that's the best plaster can do in term of color fastness .... that's sad. But that's exactly what you can expect out of plaster.

Not to pile on to Brian's biases but I'd go AquaBright if they said $8,500....IN. A. HEARTBEAT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang. So is the consensus white pebble finishes?

I'm in a similar spot as the OP. Just curious on the hold up of AB to say dogs in the pool or kids and the like.

Dang. So is the consensus white pebble finishes?

I'm in a similar spot as the OP. Just curious on the hold up of AB to say dogs in the pool or kids and the like.

See Brian's study of AB versus plaster -

Plaster and Aquabright Comparison

AB is almost as "hard" as the plaster underneath it. It's very hard to scratch and, even if you do manage to physically gouge the surface, you can simply hit it with the propane torch to smooth it out. This is one reason why it has a 10 year non-prorated warranty - the surface is nearly indestructible.

As I said, I'd jump in it if I had the cash on hand to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you believe the PB's that are trying to tell you about ozone and the SWG's effects on your deck and that it can't keep up in Phoenix?

No, I believe they're trying to sell me a solution that is lacking an actual problem. "UV is cheaper than SWG" -- mind you, they are quoting appx. 3X what it would cost me to buy an SWG and install it myself for the SWG and "half that" for the UV system. Sure, anything can look like a good choice if you manipulate the numbers enough. Oh, and they conveniently don't mention that UV doesn't replace chlorine, it only "assists" it. So I'm still pouring chlorine into the pool, which does not meet my goal of reducing the tedium of upkeep, and it only slightly reduces my chlorine costs.

I've seen enough evidence on this forum that salt corrosion on the decking is not a serious concern, and I know that the majority of the wizards on this forum wouldn't be using SWG if it wasn't a solid choice. I don't have kids and the only swimming in my pool is usually scheduled and controlled (a weekend BBQ/party with friends, evenings in the summer for the wife and I, etc.) so there won't be excessive splashing onto the deck when I'm not aware of it. If we have a party, I'll just rinse down the deck when everyone leaves. I'm leaning toward the AQR15 SWG based on what I've found here so I think it should be able to keep up with my ~15k gallons without much trouble. I am almost certainly going to be replacing my pump (on its last legs) with the Pentair SuperFlo VS (342001), so if I need more chlorine in the summer I can run the pump at just enough speed for the SWG to work for as long as necessary to maintain my FC.

We are meeting with the pool reno guy tonight on our pool and going with the Mediterranean Blue color, at least we think we are. He is bringing over two foot samples of each color to redo our 1971 gunite pool that has not been modified since first built. Out pool is 84 sq feet perimeter and we got a $7200 quote so inline with yours. Never thought about pebbletec as that was more or equal and I did not want plaster again as folks said new plaster is much harder to maintain than 45 year old plaster

Never thought about pebbletec as that was more or equal

That's interesting... so AB was not the premium/highest cost option? Pebble was quoted higher than AB? I wish I was in that situation, LOL!

I did not want plaster again as folks said new plaster is much harder to maintain than 45 year old plaster

Yeah... asbestos and all that. :-D

it was much different, I trust this forum and folks seem to like Aquabrite and the reasons sound valid so that is the option. The aquabrite ended costing us $1200 more than plaster and like $500 less than pebbletec on another quote

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.