Random breaker trip when using Insiration spa.

Aug 8, 2016
canada
I recently purchased a home last year that already had a Inspiration Spa installed. I noticed that motor #1 had been rebuilt since I found the receipt for it. Pump #2 did not come on for some reason. A quick call to the local pool guy solved the problem. The bearing in pump #2 was shot and the pump needed to be replace due to negligence from the previous owner. Once replaced everything ran fine for the summer. Then I noticed late fall, the 50 amp breaker would trip if both pumps and the lights and the heater were on, quite regularly. I had an electrician check the load on the system and it would do a quick peak pull of 47 amps for a second when everything was initially turned on. We also found corrosion at the heater element leads. Tub as drained and heater elements replaced. Everything worked well for a month or so. The system is a Balboa Spa system. I've also found the breaker tripped on random occasions. The system does it's usual run with the pump #1 coming on to circulate the water and heat it. So, what I'm asking is why is the breaker tripping when I use the tub? It seems totally random. I turned it on this morning to see if I can get it to trip, but nope. We used it the other night and it tripped the breaker. Water temp is set at 100 degrees F. Tub is around 7 years old I figure.

Any ideas on why this is happening? The tub purrs along all day and night by itself. Once I use it, it seems to just randomly trip the breaker. The electrician confirmed the system has been correctly installed.

Suggestions?

Hey Bullet! Welcome to TFP...:wave:

I'm not your electrical guy, but am on the welcome committee and I wanted to say hello. Someone will likely have your answer before too long. Enjoy the forum, and good luck on your Spa.

I have some background in power electronics / electrical.

Circuit breakers, and especially ground-fault-interrupter breakers, do become more prone to tripping over time. I even had a situation where the large breaker out on the utility pole would trip periodically. After a few trips out by the utility company, and them scolding me for their wires running close to my trees and attempts to blame my house's wiring (which they aren't responsible for fixing), it turned out that the breaker on the pole had simply gotten aged and stressed by lightening strikes, baking in the sun, and so on. Things were fine once they finally replaced it.

My advice: Replace the breaker that is tripping. If there is a separate GFI protector, replace it, too.

It is also possible that there is some contamination or arcing on the control circuit board, causing a trip. A visual examination and sniff test (with power off) should discover it if that's the case. You might see some charring of the board or odd metallic deposits from sparks. My bet is still on the breaker being the cause, though.

Last edited:
I have some background in power electronics / electrical.

Circuit breakers, and especially ground-fault-interrupter breakers, do become more prone to tripping over time. I even had a situation where the large breaker out on the utility pole would trip periodically. After a few trips out by the utility company, and them scolding me for their wires running close to my trees and attempts to blame my house's wiring (which they aren't responsible for fixing), it turned out that the breaker on the pole had simply gotten aged and stressed by lightening strikes, baking in the sun, and so on. Things were fine once they finally replaced it.

My advice: Replace the breaker that is tripping. If there is a separate GFI protector, replace it, too.

It is also possible that there is some contamination or arcing on the control circuit board, causing a trip. A visual examination and sniff test (with power off) should discover it if that's the case. You might see some charring of the board or odd metallic deposits from sparks. My bet is still on the breaker being the cause, though.

I was thinking this myself as well. I"ll contact an electrician to replace both the GFI and breaker. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.