Recommend a robot?

Can someone recommend me a robot? I would like to stay under $700

It's a fairly small 10,000 gallon inground vinyl pool
    10,000 Gallons - IG Vinyl Liner
    Hayward 4820 DE
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommend a robot?

The Doheny Discovery and the Nautilus Plus (S300) have gotten good recent reviews from TFP members. A smaller robot might do the trick for you as well with that pool volume. I don't have any first hand knowledge but perhaps a Dolphin S100 or similar would be enough for your pool. Use the search box in the upper right to find threads about robotic cleaners.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

great!! thanks for the recommendation.

now the question $675 Discovery (returned unit) or $669 for a brand new Nautilus Plus?
    Hayward 4820 DE
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I would read this link - The Truth About Pool Cleaners: What Your Pool Store Isn’t Telling You | Sunplay

I think both units are basically the same so you'd be better off getting the "new" Nautilus+ versus someone's "returned" Discovery.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm sorry but I don't see where it says Doheny Discovery =Nautilus Plus
    Hayward 4820 DE
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

You can do a little better than $675 today if you want, on the first (refurbished) option. The Active 20 is the same as the Discovery. Now it's $599. It was $499 briefly, then $549 last week. The new Discovery's were $649 last summer, though now are Reg. $799. But it's all about what the price is when you want to buy, not what it MIGHT be some other time. My belief/understanding is that Poolpartz.com is an authorized seller of these refurbished units (work done by Maytronic's certified technicians, not Poolpartz). So you then do fall under the "OK" group of online buyers for this particular product. Though repairs do need to be mailed in per the documentation. I think that Poolpartz.com has an agreement with Maytronic's to take their refurbished unit off of their hands and handles those sales (or at least a lot of them.) It's an interesting site to watch the prices fluctuate on over time.

I bought an Active 20 at $499. Happy so far. Just one occasional issue of getting stuck on a bench. Still a huge improvement over a pressure cleaner.

Dolphin Active 20 Refurbished

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    I would read this link - The Truth About Pool Cleaners: What Your Pool Store Isn’t Telling You | Sunplay

I think both units are basically the same so you'd be better off getting the "new" Nautilus+ versus someone's "returned" Discovery.
    Basically the same yes, but they do have different basket styles. Two clip open containers on the Nautilus Plus vs. one bigger basket style on the Discover. That link is really pretty good, though not complete and not completely accurate.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

675 for a returned unit that still has 2 year factory warranty. Not really a decision there. Refurbs only have 1 year warranty.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

The Doheny Saturn has 1 brush instead of 2 which would be fine for a vinyl pool and save you a few bucks.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach