Pool pump won't turn on, only makes a humming noise and hot to touch?

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Yesterday I went to turn on my pool pump and it wouldn't turn on, it would only make a humming noise when I would flip the switch to turn it on. The pool pump and SWG are wired to the same timer and breaker. The breaker was NOT tripped. One thing to note was that the pool pump motor was really hot to the touch when I first started troubleshooting it when I realized the pump wasn't turning on. Any ideas what might the causing this? I've already removed the capacitor and will get that tested today. If the capacitor is bad, then I'm assuming that was the problem. If the capacitor is good, then I'm guessing I will have to remove the motor next? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Re: Pool pump won't turn on, only makes a humming noise?

I have had this happen when I first open my pool in the Spring. The cause has been that the pump was seized up. I was able to manually get the pump to turn and then it worked fine (or at least well enough to get me through the season - new pump going in for me this year). But as you state, could be a problem with the pump motor.

If the motor shaft doesn't spin freely, then can I assume it is seized and needs to be replaced? So you don't think it could be the capacitor? How long do pool pump motors usually lasts before they have to be rebuilt or replaced? 3-5 years?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.