Goldsboro, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have a Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump that has bit the dust. It is at least 8+ years old. The motor burnt out beyond repair.

I am looking to replace the pump and am up for suggestions. I have a 23K gallon in ground pool, don't need to run any water features or cleaners, and the 1HP seemed to move the water just fine. I was able to adjust valves if I wanted to manually vacuum to get enough suction at that skimmer.

I am not against going up in HP if recommended. Should I go back to the same pump or change it up? I would like to keep it under $700, but could go to $1,000 if there is a good case for it.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

I'm not an expert in this area, but have done enough research for my own needs to give some advice. Here's what I see as your options:
1. Install a 2-speed 1hp Whiserflo. Having 2 speed gives option to run on low speed which is significant electrical cost savings.
2. If it is just your motor that has bit the dust, just replace the Whisperflow 1hp motor with a 2-speed 1hp motor.
3. Go to a 1.5hp variable speed pump (Hayward MaxFlo VS or Pentair SuperFlo VS). These are less than $700 online and offer even more energy saving vs. a 2-speed. However, I think NC has relatively low electric rates so it may be better to stick with a 2-speed WhisperFlo since that would be an easier install.

Thanks for the info! Here is what I am looking at/wrestling with.

2-speed WhisperFlo 1HP - Amazon.com : Pentair 011486 WhisperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Full Rated Pump, 1 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden

SuperFlo 1.5 VS - https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-342001-SuperFlo-Variable-Horsepower/dp/B00PKHX2BM

IntelliFlo VS - https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-011018-IntelliFlo-Performance-Horsepower/dp/B007E4VWNO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492438416&sr=8-1&keywords=pentair+intelliflo

The first two are around $670 - $700. Regarding electric costs - I have never noticed a difference in my electric bill when the current pump is running vs. when it is not. The third option is the IntelliFlo for $945. I tend to always go the extreme when replacing something because I don't want to miss out on a feature that may be beneficial. Is there anything that I would benefit from by getting the IntelliFlo vs one of the other options?

I see two benefits of a variable speed pump. The first is that at a given rpm it is ~10% more efficient than a standard pump (10% lower electric cost). The second is the ability to run at any speed you want. So, if you run your current pump 6 hours a day at 3450rpm, you could run a variable speed at 1100rpm for 18 hours a day and get the same level of circulation but much lower electric cost. Or, if you have various water features or a spa you can automate a variable speed pump to run at a certain speed that is best for each water feature.

But, a variable speed pump has a higher chance of something failing due to the electronics that control the variable drive motor.

Since electric costs don't seem to be a significant factor for you, I would go with the 2-speed WhisperFlo because of the easy install.

If you do want the benefits of variable speed, the SuperFlo 1.5 should be plenty big for your pool. The only reason I see for the IntelliFlo is if you're planning to add automation in the future, or if you currently have automation for your SWG.

With either of the variable speed pumps you will need to think about how to protect the SWG from being on when the pump is off.

What's the difference regarding the install when comparing the 2-speed and VS pumps?

Also, what is the accepted method for ensuring the SWG is not on when the pump is not on? I currently have a mechanical timer that turns on both the SWG and the pump.

For the plumbing side of the install it is the same between a 2-speed and a variable speed. For your situation, a 2-speed WhisperFlo should be easier since your current pump is a WhisperFlo. You shouldn't have to redo any plumbing for a new WhisperFlo, but may have to with a VS if the inlet and outlet are at different positions.

The electrical side of the install for a variable speed is simple - just hook up the wires to your motor (make sure it is bonded also). For a 2-speed, if you get a pump motor that has the hi/lo switch installed on the motor then it is also a simple install. If your pump does not have the hi/lo switch then its a little more complicated. You need to add an external switch. For a 220V install, you would run one LINE directly from the breaker to the common terminal on the motor. The other LINE from the breaker would go to a switch and from the switch you would need 2 wires that run to the motor and hook to the High and Low speed terminals. You would also need to run a Ground wire from the ground buss to the motor.

Regarding protecting the SWG. The VS pump needs to have constant power, so you can no longer use your mechanical timer to turn the pump on and off. You can try to synchronize your mechanical timer (controlling the SWG) with the timer built into the VS pump so that the SWG only runs when the VS pump is running. However, if they ever get out of sync, then you have the potential to damage the SWG if it were to be on with the pump off. I believe the SWG may have a pressure switch to shut it off if there is no flow, but not sure.

The best solution is to buy an automation system to control the SWG and the VS pump, but these can get expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.