Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help!!! My new liner has a rip in the seam?

1. Back To Top    #1

Help!!! My new liner has a rip in the seam?

What would cause a liner to rip at the seam. We installed a new liner in our pool on March 16 of this year and filled it. It was doing great and then we wake up this morning and noticed we had lost a significant amount of water. We started looking around the pool and found a tear at the seam about the size of a nickel. We have not had any one swimming in it and it has been fine for four weeks. I plan on calling the company tomorrow since it has a warranty but what does that warranty usually cover and why would it all if a sudden pull like that. We bought some water weld and have patched it for now.

Amy Speight My Pool: above ground 5 ft deep 36 ft round 29,000 gallons.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help!!! My new liner has a rip in the seam?

Good call on calling the company. Did you take pics? They are going to want some I bet.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I had the exact same issue 5 years ago when I installed mine. Within a couple weeks I had one seam along the edge that separated. The company sent me a new liner and said there must have been an issue with their machine that sets the seams. I ended up patching mine though and never replaced it and it has been fine since.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

here is the picture my husband took of it. I am hoping they will replace it. It has a warranty on it.

5. Back To Top    #5

Good job on the picture! I hope they do replace it as it is right on the seam!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks very similar to mine ... if you wouldnt mind could you private message me the maker of your liner? Curious if it is the same. They handled it very well though. You could put a patch on that easily to prevent losing more water til you decide what to do next. Personally I had liner material left from where I cut the steps out, used that for the patch material and you cannot see it unless you really are looking for it.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

7. Back To Top    #7

That is exactly what we did also. We just have a patch on it now. It is holding up really good.

8. Back To Top    #8

They are shipping out a new liner today!

9. Back To Top    #9

SWEET! Got to love good cust. service!

Kim

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you for the advice! We already patched the pool and it is holding so we are just going to hang on to the new liner until we need it