Added DE to sand filter, wow

cliptx

Mar 11, 2017
SE. TX
Our pool was a little cloudy, we didn't think much of it.(after you resurrected it from the dead aka swamp or algae) it is no big thing.
We were picking up some more bleach when a guy was mentioning how much he loved his DE filter and how well it worked.

Our sand filter is a year old, we can't justify getting a new filter. I looked on here and found your info on adding DE to a sand filter. We add one cup of the slurry.(DE and Water mixed) I noticed that it went up a half a PSI. Hubby checked an hour or two later the pressure had doubled BUT, looking in the pool, our pool was crystal clear. I keep asking myself, why didn't we do this last season?

My question is will it hurt the sand filter if we add DE regularly?

Nope.

But you will have to re-add it when you backwash as that will discharge most of the DE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It won't hurt, but if your water is going from clear to cloudy then you are dealing with a chemistry problem rather than a filtration one. Properly maintained water should remain clear even with a sand filter.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.