It's too hot!

numberonenole

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 18, 2009
Woods of North Florida
Our water temperature is up to around 93 degrees, and it is supposed to be even hotter here over the next few days so I imagine the pool temperature is going to keep going up. I've seen people talk about fountains to cool the water and about using jets.

I only have one return to my pool (I think that is the same thing as a jet). If I turn that up to create a fountain like effect I would lose my circulation in my pool, right? So this is not a good idea? Same problem if I do buy some type of fountain that hooks into the return?

Also, I have had problems keeping the pH down I believe because of the aeration caused by us swimming. I wore a mask yesterday and noticed thousands of little bubbles under the water. We keep our heads under water most of the time in the pool. I have used a lot of muriatic acid, and I'm afraid aerating the water even more with a fountain will cause me to have an even harder time keeping the pH under control. Is this right?

So, is there any other inexpensive, easy option to cooling the pool? I don't have the skills or time to run piping under ground to cool off the water (or whatever it was I read when I searched this topic). So any suggestions? Thanks as always for your great advice!

Fountains work really well to cool the pool, but yes the downside is aeration which will require acid.

What is your TA level now? If it's on the high side that would explain the PH drift, and acid/aeration would then be a good thing....right?

reebok said:
you guys know the majority of the people on this forum are north of the sunshine state's border right? let's not bring any unnecessary violence down on ourselves from the less fortunate. :rant:

LMAO!! *ducking and covering* :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Law-DEE it sure is hot down here in the south :wink: ....at least our more northern pool neighbors don't have to "Reason with Hurricane Season". UGH!! Always a tradeoff. :hammer: Where's my fan and mint julep?

I had the same problem, I added a simple fountain. The fountain has a simple sleve that allows me to adjust from full fountain to partial, and direct underwater flow in the direction needed for circulation. My pool water temp fell from 93 to 86 after the first night. I have to add water more often - but the pool is cooler.

I started to use the subject "My apologies to those up North", but then saw on the Weather Channel that the 90's have spread to some areas up there so I thought they were getting the heat too. It's been so hot that when I go outside it takes my breath away. No breeze at all. We didn't go swimming yesterday because the air was so hot, and the water in the pool was so warm, that swimming was not refreshing. I've read alot about how to heat a pool, but not much on cooling it down. I don't have solar panels because I spend most of my life trying to cool off, not heat up!

A couple of days ago I used muriatic acid to bring my pH down to 7.5 and my TA to 80. With all the bubbles I saw after that I imagine it will be drifting up again soon. I'm flirting with using borates to try and keep the pH more stable, but does that keep aeration from raising the pH?

I've searched for a fountain that has a two way valve, one for the fountain and one for the circulation, but none of them say specifically that they have this feature. Does anyone have a specific fountain like this they can recommend? Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
numberonenole said:
A couple of days ago I used muriatic acid to bring my pH down to 7.5 and my TA to 80. With all the bubbles I saw after that I imagine it will be drifting up again soon. I'm flirting with using borates to try and keep the pH more stable, but does that keep aeration from raising the pH?

you saw bubbles from what? aeration is more of a process like a fountain, a homemade pvc aerator, eyeball pointed up, etc. borates should make the ph more stable, but aeration will still raise ph (albeit more slowly). is your ta in check? how often do you add acid?

The aeration is from two little boys and one Mama being under water most of the time they are in the pool! All the air we are breathing out I guess, as well as from the motion. I have to add acid about every three weeks I guess. I haven't written down when I add. I need to keep better track of what I add when. I have such a bad memory! It does creep back up.

I just went and looked and our water temperature is up to 97! It is miserable to swim in a pool that warm. Not refreshing at all. Any suggestions on fountains that circulate as well as have the fountain feature since we have only one return? In the meantime I guess I'll go redneck and throw a sprinkler in there!

nope...no heat in southern NY...high 72 today...72 yesterday...water is a 76 with a solar bear panel...kids like it, but it's a bit too brisk for me...hope it cools off soon for y'all. Figures...we put a pool in this season after a 5yr break and now it can't break 80 deg in late June

You could always leave your pump running 24/7 and that will keep your water a bit cooler. How long are you running your pump? I run mine 12 hours a day 4 p.m. to 4 a.m. (mine is an inground pool, though). I get full sun from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. My water temp at 7:00 p.m tonight was 82 and will drop back to 78 by morning.

I'm in Arizona where it is also very hot, but we are arid so it feels cool at night even when it's hot to most people.
Air temperature here is running around 103 to 106 during the day and dropping to 79 to 85 at night. When it gets hotter here and the evening temp is in the 90's to 100's, I aerate every couple of nights.

I have a grecian style fountain, and the plastic fitting where the hose connects has several holes in it. This allows you to put the hose completely over the fitting and direct all of the water from that return to the fountain, or put the hose over part of the fitting and direct part of the water to the fountain, and half back in the pool for some semblance of circulation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.