Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question About Leaking Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Question About Leaking Pool

I first noticed my pool leaking last summer when I would go away for a few days and come back to my pool a foot lower. There is a patch on my liner next to the skimmer housing which I thought was the culprit but the water fell below it. I decided to deal with it in the spring and here we are. I have went around and looked for liner tears where the water level is now but can find no such tear.

Any ideas on how the water could be leaking past the skimmer that I can't see?
    15 X 30 AG Vinyl Pool (13.1k Gallon) | Well Filled | Harris H1572730 ProForce 1.5 HP Pump | Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo T-210WF Sand Filter | TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question About Leaking Pool

You say it went past the patch by the skimmer BUT did it go all the way past the skimmer? How close to getting a new liner are you? Is there any water on the ground around the pool?

Kim (no cheering on this one)
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I believe it went all the way past the skimmer once I stopped maintaining the water level during the fall. I haven't considered buying a new liner because it's my mothers pool and I don't plan on living here forever.

My dad (doesn't live with us anymore) said the water level could have dropped as far as it did over the winter because I covered the pool without air bags and water filled in pushing it down and in turn forcing water out of the pool. The patch next to my skimmer housing does seem to be peeling and water stains have developed on the outside of the pool where the patch is. I am going to re patch it today and fill her up to see if it fixes anything.
    15 X 30 AG Vinyl Pool (13.1k Gallon) | Well Filled | Harris H1572730 ProForce 1.5 HP Pump | Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo T-210WF Sand Filter | TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Carefully check for damp, wet spots of dirt or gravel around the perimeter of your pool. That should be the first thing you do. When you are able to swim, get a syringe and fill it with dye. Swim underwater with goggles and check the liner seams for leakage by using the dye.

If the dye escapes out of a hole, you found your leak.

5. Back To Top    #5

I think the patch I replaced did the trick because my pool doesn't appear to be leaking now. I will do the dye test when I've shocked the pool and can see it!