Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cover for irregularly shaped pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cover for irregularly shaped pool

We just finished putting in our pool and we are so excited about getting in it (when it's warm!). We live in a very warm part of California and in attempts to reduce my gas bill, I would like to get a solar cover. There are 2 confounding factors: my pool is very irregularly shaped and we can get a lot of wind in the late afternoon/evening.

I have heard of people getting a large cover and cutting it to the right shape and size. This seems reasonable although I think could be unwieldly to remove and put on. I have also heard of ring shaped covers and perhaps a few of these could do the job.

I have a "sports" type pool where it is deeper in the middle than on the edges and I also have 2 shelves on both of the long ends of the pool so I'm thinking I only really need to cover the most central portion.

In terms of the wind, I think I need to figure out a way to weigh the cover down (perhaps with weights hanging from the underside of the cover?).

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

TIA!!
    Attachment 59291Attachment 59292Attachment 59293
    17K gallon, inground, gunnite, stonescapes tropics blue puerto rico blend pebble, above ground spa with spill , Jandy VS 2.0 hp pump, Jandy cartirdge filter, Jandy pool & Spa heater, Jandy SWG, Aqualink automation, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cover for irregularly shaped pool

What a pretty pool with so many neat details and features! NICE!

I am no help with the cover as we do not cover ours. We worry about animal entrapment. Someone tried the floating circles and found they did not do much as far a helping with the heat and they go tired of taking them in and out.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Take a look at this device...then decide if you want to buy it OR DIY with PVC.

If you want to try to DIY, search the forum for a thread that tells you how. I did DIY variant "in-pool" for winter coverage under a dome. Downside s that constant "in pool" rolling will tear the grommet/attachment to Pole...but I'm a daily user AND due to winter, all the unrolling is by force on a line strung across pool. So normal circumstance might improve longevity

https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Roller-.../dp/B00IV3QKQG
    In ground vinyl Grecian, 24k gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, VGreen VSP 165, Hayward SWG, Raypak NG 265k heater, dolphin m4.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

4. Back To Top    #4

I bought oversized, cut to fit and then I cut it in half to make it easier to handle. That helped a lot. Here is a DIY roller, DIY Solar Cover Roller
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the tips! Will look into them.
    17K gallon, inground, gunnite, stonescapes tropics blue puerto rico blend pebble, above ground spa with spill , Jandy VS 2.0 hp pump, Jandy cartirdge filter, Jandy pool & Spa heater, Jandy SWG, Aqualink automation, Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

That pool and setting is spectacular!!!

I'm not much help with the cover as we really wanted to look at water, we went with pool solar so we could have a warm pool and still enjoy the view.
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink RS -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd

7. Back To Top    #7

we may end up going with solar as well because we too like to look at the water. just thinking of ways to reduce my bill

8. Back To Top    #8

With those winds you are talking about, evaporation will really bleed the heat from your pool. Good luck with whatever you decide! We were religious with solar covers on our last pool and found the clear ones were the most palatable visually. We never had a problem with wind blowing them once they were in the water.
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink RS -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd

9. Back To Top    #9

we are looking at rigging something up with the clear type. and i think that when the cover is on the water, the bond/reaction between the two should hopefully keep it down.

10. Back To Top    #10

We also have an irregularly shaped pool and one side is a raised deck with a spa and spillover. We bought an oversized solar cover and cut it to the shape of the pool. To make it easier to handle, we cut in half and purchased two of the cover rollers mentioned in previous posts. So, to take off the cover, we just roll up each half. Makes the rolled up cover a lot easier to manage.

During the summer we don't use any pool cover at all. Our pool gets direct sun all day with no shade. The pool temp often approaches 90. We only use the cover over the winter (late October through early April). We've never had a problem with the cover being blown off or even folded over. We also have a solar cover on the 8 foot spa. It stays in place all winter.
    Vince L
    16' x 37' fiberglass pool, 8' fiberglass spa, Hayward Swimclear C3030 filter, EcoStar VS pump, Pro Logic PL-PS-8, Goldline SWCG, Sense & Dispense pH control, Aqua Connect, PS-8 & Aqua Pod Remotes, Fiberstars LED's in pool & spa, AquaCal SQ175R heat pump, SR Smith Typhoon slide, Polaris 9300xi robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

You might want to try one of the many products like Cover Free. I personally dislike solar covers and have found cover free works great if you can remember to apply once a week.

12. Back To Top    #12

They are dealing with high winds. That can disrupt the Cover Free.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

I have not heard great things about cover free and i would rather not put an unnecessary chemical in the pool. I think we are going to rig up something like pooldv did.

14. Back To Top    #14

I have the solar roller works great
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

I believe it's just an alcohol base and it works great on evaporation. If high winds are a problem won't that wind blow a cover around as well?

16. Back To Top    #16

My 8mil solar cover, cut into two halves, doesn't move at all in winds up to 50mph from the north or the south so far. It is cut to fit an inch or two inside the coping, flat on the water. We have lots of trees, a partial raised beam and retaining walls that might help with the wind. But, when the cover is folded over in the pool the wind blows it a lot sometimes.

Yes, the liquid covers are alcohol based and can slow heat loss through evaporwtion. BUT, it creates a one molecule thick layer of alcohol on the water and it is easily blown to one side in the slightest breeze which renders is ineffective.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach