What magical tool am I missing?

I'm attempting to remove my DE filter screens to clean them, and I can't figure out how to detach the pipe that connects them to the filter. There's not much room to work with, and I'm not ever sure which part of this I should be turning, and in what direction. I've done a nice job of marring things up trying to do this with a large pipe wrench.

Someone please enlighten me.

filter.jpg

CS,

I have never seen this specific DE filter, but I would assume you need to unscrew the union that holds the top manifold.

Does not look like there is enough room for a pipe wrench, I'd try a strap wrench, or a very large set of adjustable pliers.

It is a little hard to tell, but I think the large middle piece of the union needs to turn to the right as seen in the above pic.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I concur with previous post...
"It is a little hard to tell, but I think the large middle piece of the union needs to turn to the right as seen in the above pic." Next loosen the wing nuts from top manifold piece. Manifold should be loose enough to wiggle free from grids, then remove grids paying attention to their location. There maybe one smaller grid than the others. Note it's location. Lubricant or replace alln o-ring to lubricant .
Just take your time. It helps if you can backwash filter prior to disassembly. If not, hose off DE inside of tank then release water via drain plug. Grid assembly will be easier to handle .
I hope this helps. Search YouTube for videos on DE filter cleaning.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I used to have a Sta-rite System 3 filter just like the one you are showing. The large nut on the union does turn to the right as Jim stated. The one on mine froze, and neither 2 different pool guys or I could free it again. I think the biggest problem is that there is a lot of side weight on the union from the elements and unions are not designed to have this side force on them. I dumped this filter and got a Pentair Quad 60. Easy to get the filter elements out and nothing to seize up.

Tried again on my own. The strap wrench wasn't as friendly as I hoped it would be, but I did manage to get leverage on it a few times. The problem is that all of the plumbing inside moves when I'm trying to turn it. Next step is to try again with someone holding everything else in place.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe that union will unscrew counter clockwise (looking from above) I would also say JimRahbe is more intuitive than I am so take your pick!!

I do think you will need a pipe wrench as the strap tools may not grip tight enough to break loose that connection. Even with someone holding, you might have to jury rig a type of brace to lock down that top horizontal pipe. Good luck!

I believe that union will unscrew counter clockwise (looking from above) I would also say JimRahbe is more intuitive than I am so take your pick!!

I do think you will need a pipe wrench as the strap tools may not grip tight enough to break loose that connection. Even with someone holding, you might have to jury rig a type of brace to lock down that top horizontal pipe. Good luck!

Dave,

I agree that a pipe wrench would do a much better job, but I just didn't think it would fit. If the OP can get a pipe wrench to fit that would be the best bet.

I think we are both turning the "nut" the same way... counter-clock-wise looking from the top or from left to right when looking at the pic.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Spanner is mentioned in the Dire Straits song, Industrial Disease, and, thanks to pabeader, I now know what it means. This forum amazes me continually
!
Warning lights are flashing down at Quality Control
Somebody threw a spanner and they threw him in the hole

We have the S7D75 filter, which I believe is the same as yours? The pool builder sent his workers over to try to get it off with no luck. I assume they'll re-plumb it. We tried the channel lock and that didn't work either. Not much room to grab it without damaging something. I truly hate this filter!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.