Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What magical tool am I missing?

1. Back To Top    #1

What magical tool am I missing?

I'm attempting to remove my DE filter screens to clean them, and I can't figure out how to detach the pipe that connects them to the filter. There's not much room to work with, and I'm not ever sure which part of this I should be turning, and in what direction. I've done a nice job of marring things up trying to do this with a large pipe wrench.

Someone please enlighten me.

12.5k Gal, in-ground vinyl, Sta-rite s7d75 DE filter, 1hp Hayward Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What magical tool am I missing?

CS,

I have never seen this specific DE filter, but I would assume you need to unscrew the union that holds the top manifold.

Does not look like there is enough room for a pipe wrench, I'd try a strap wrench, or a very large set of adjustable pliers.

It is a little hard to tell, but I think the large middle piece of the union needs to turn to the right as seen in the above pic.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

I concur with previous post...
    "It is a little hard to tell, but I think the large middle piece of the union needs to turn to the right as seen in the above pic." Next loosen the wing nuts from top manifold piece. Manifold should be loose enough to wiggle free from grids, then remove grids paying attention to their location. There maybe one smaller grid than the others. Note it's location. Lubricant or replace alln o-ring to lubricant .
    Just take your time. It helps if you can backwash filter prior to disassembly. If not, hose off DE inside of tank then release water via drain plug. Grid assembly will be easier to handle .
    I hope this helps. Search YouTube for videos on DE filter cleaning.

10,000 gallons IG Freeform, 8ft raised spa,pebble finish
    FNS 60 Sqft DE Filter,2HP Whisperflow for Pool/Spa filtering
    2HP Whisperflow for Spa jets
    1HP Whisperflow for Waterfall
    Master Temp 400,000 Btu Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I used to have a Sta-rite System 3 filter just like the one you are showing. The large nut on the union does turn to the right as Jim stated. The one on mine froze, and neither 2 different pool guys or I could free it again. I think the biggest problem is that there is a lot of side weight on the union from the elements and unions are not designed to have this side force on them. I dumped this filter and got a Pentair Quad 60. Easy to get the filter elements out and nothing to seize up.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the input. I'll get a strap wrench and try a turn to the right.

TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

It might help if you could get someone to support the filter elements to lessen the load on the union as you try to loosen it.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'll see if I can bribe somebody for a hand. Thanks again.

TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Did you get the filter off? Ours is stuck too. We tried turning it with a pipe wrench and then tried a strap wrench. No luck
    11k vinyl in ground sport pool with SWG(T-9 cell), 1 hp Hayward Super Pump, Starite 37.5 DE filter, Rheem 20600 BTU gas heater & encapsulated Coverstar auto cover. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

Haven't had a chance to give it another shot. Hoping to have time this weekend. Fingers crossed and good luck! Do you have the same model?

TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Tried again on my own. The strap wrench wasn't as friendly as I hoped it would be, but I did manage to get leverage on it a few times. The problem is that all of the plumbing inside moves when I'm trying to turn it. Next step is to try again with someone holding everything else in place.

TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

I believe that union will unscrew counter clockwise (looking from above) I would also say JimRahbe is more intuitive than I am so take your pick!!

I do think you will need a pipe wrench as the strap tools may not grip tight enough to break loose that connection. Even with someone holding, you might have to jury rig a type of brace to lock down that top horizontal pipe. Good luck!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I believe that union will unscrew counter clockwise (looking from above) I would also say JimRahbe is more intuitive than I am so take your pick!!

I do think you will need a pipe wrench as the strap tools may not grip tight enough to break loose that connection. Even with someone holding, you might have to jury rig a type of brace to lock down that top horizontal pipe. Good luck!
    Dave,

I agree that a pipe wrench would do a much better job, but I just didn't think it would fit. If the OP can get a pipe wrench to fit that would be the best bet.

I think we are both turning the "nut" the same way... counter-clock-wise looking from the top or from left to right when looking at the pic.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I believe there is a thing called a spanner wrench, that is made for this situation.

IMG_0527.JPG
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

14. Back To Top    #14

Bob,

Well if you want to use the right tool for the right job, then I suspect you are correct...

That is one tool that I don't have. I'll have to fix that problem.

Jim R.

15. Back To Top    #15

I have always used channel lock pliers and large vise grip pliers.... Turn one way and hold the other.

Six years with an AG pool...still feel like a noob sometimes...
    Jonnhy Weismuller 24" ft AG with aluminum Deck and wrap-around.

16. Back To Top    #16

I found these at my Home Depot the other day so I could tighten a union into my filter outlet.... what a godsend, much thinner than a pipe or strap wrench

Channellock 9 in. Oil-Filter and PVC Slip-Joint Pliers-209 - The Home Depot
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm a black and white type of guy ... the only gray in my life is the hair on my head
    750 gal fiberglass built in spa with Hayward equipment. Pump is SP3010X15AZ Control is Aqua Plus with a T-cell-3 SWG and a H400FD Heater, Hayward C12002 cartridge filter filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Joe,

That looks like the perfect tool for me...

Thanks,

Jim R.

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

Spanner is mentioned in the Dire Straits song, Industrial Disease, and, thanks to pabeader, I now know what it means. This forum amazes me continually
    !
    Warning lights are flashing down at Quality Control
    Somebody threw a spanner and they threw him in the hole
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

19. Back To Top    #19

We have the S7D75 filter, which I believe is the same as yours? The pool builder sent his workers over to try to get it off with no luck. I assume they'll re-plumb it. We tried the channel lock and that didn't work either. Not much room to grab it without damaging something. I truly hate this filter!
    11k vinyl in ground sport pool with SWG(T-9 cell), 1 hp Hayward Super Pump, Starite 37.5 DE filter, Rheem 20600 BTU gas heater & encapsulated Coverstar auto cover. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Joe,

That looks like the perfect tool for me...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    It was by luck that I found it, I was looking for a strap wrench with a very thin strap to get between the hub and the filter outlet. This did the trick.

There is a right tool for every job
    I'm a black and white type of guy ... the only gray in my life is the hair on my head
    750 gal fiberglass built in spa with Hayward equipment. Pump is SP3010X15AZ Control is Aqua Plus with a T-cell-3 SWG and a H400FD Heater, Hayward C12002 cartridge filter filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast