Pad Replumb Suggestions Anyone?

Apr 9, 2017
Berryville, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm looking to replace my single speed pump with a VS pump with a 2" port and want to upgrade my pipe to 2" at the pad. I have 1 main drain and 2 skimmers, and 4 returns. My issue is that the lines coming up from the ground are too close together to simply replace the tee's with 2" fittings because they are longer than the existing 1.5" fittings.

One option would be to cut down the 2" fittings to shorten them to fit. Has anyone ever done this, and do you think it would be more prone to leaking? The other would be to add additional fittings to give me more room before collecting them together. Downside here is making the pad more busy and adding head with additional fittings.

Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1841.jpg
    IMG_1841.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 67
Nova,

Not sure why you want to re-plumb your pad?? It looks pretty good to me.

Your VS pump will work just fine with the existing 1.5" plumbing, except of course where you have to adapt to the 2" pump fittings.

I suggest you get rid of those Home Depot unions and get unions designed for pumps.. they look like this...
dbtgallery.php

They have an O-Ring on the threaded end that makes sure your pump fittings never leak.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Unless you're going to dig up ALL the returns clear to the pool - I wouldn't touch a thing. In fact -I would be questioning why you need to change anything as long as it all works. As someone else stated - your VS pump can cope with the smaller plumbing just fine - It might even be able to accept the 1.5 inch plumbing directly - at most - only change what you need to to get the VS pump in, if necessary use some 1.5 to 2 inch adapters.

Nova,

Not sure why you want to re-plumb your pad?? It looks pretty good to me.

Your VS pump will work just fine with the existing 1.5" plumbing, except of course where you have to adapt to the 2" pump fittings.

I suggest you get rid of those Home Depot unions and get unions designed for pumps.. they look like this...
dbtgallery.php

They have an O-Ring on the threaded end that makes sure your pump fittings never leak.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim, I'll put those unions on the list when I do the pump. I was thinking that going to 2" pipe as the 1.5's come together could increase my flow rate. If you don't think it makes sense, then I can stop obsessing about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it sounds like upgrading to 2" pipe from the collection/distribution points will not yield me much?

I'm replacing the pump because when I tore it down to replace the seals over the winter, the seal plate was all chewed up and melted. I put the new seals in although the one didn't seat well, and gave it a shot, but it's still leaking. I don't know how old the pump or motor is, but rather than replace parts I prefer to go with a VS to save some energy, reduce noise, and have more control. Since PVC is cheap, I thought I would upgrade what I could if it would help. My logic tells me it would improve the flow so I could run the new pump at a lower RPM to get the same results I am currently getting. Is my logic flawed?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.