Pump/filter upgrade - Am I looking for trouble?

jsgip

Jul 1, 2007
NW Minnesota
I have a 15'x42" 3900 gal Metal Frame APG pool. The pump it came with just isn't cutting it. We haven't had it very long and it is already getting loud. I have had to run the pump 24/7 trying to get the Iron out of our water. My DH wants to get a better filter/pump to eventually use on a real pool.

Here is what we are considering purchasing:

Hayward 1 HP Swimming Pool Pump & 18" Sand Filter Model S180T92S

18" Polymeric Tank
7-position Filter Control Valve SP714T
1 hp Power-Flo Matrix Pump
One Piece Deluxe Base
1 1/2" Hose Package (2) 11/2" x 6' lengths of hose, adapters, and clamps

Is this going to be too much for this little pool to handle? We eventually may be getting a real pool(18-24ft).

Are we going to be causing any problems if we get this pump/filter combo? I read somewhere on another post that it may be a good idea to switch the input/output connections.

Any ideas/comments/concerns?

Thanks,
jsgip

The bigger problems are when you have a pump too big for the filter. Is that pump uprated? Is it a 2 speed? Maybe a larger filter would be better or if that filter is your choice, maybe a 1/2hp or 3/4hp would be better. With a pool that small, you would not need to run a decent pump/filter for very long to turn over the whole pool so that would be a good thing.

BTW, don't shortchange yourself, that IS a real pool, just not a permanent pool. The water maintenance requirements are the same (just in smaller doses), the refreshing feeling is the same and the experience you get in caring for a pool is valuable. Its really not that much more work with a larger model.

The system you list will work just fine but it will cost more in the long run.

Sadly most of the package deals give you too large a pump. What you generally want is a small pump with too large of a filter. Larger pumps cost more to operate and are not needed unless you have water features (spa, waterfall, fountain, etc). A two speed pump gives you flexibility and saves money in the long run. Larger filters allow you to go longer between backwash/cleanings. A larger filter costs more up front and is better forever after. A larger pump cost more up front and more every day you use it and reduces the quality of the filtering ever so slightly.

The pump is not a 2 speed and I am not sure if it is uprated or not.

What would be a better choice? A 1/2h or 3/4h pump? What size filter? We want it to be enough for a larger pool but not overwhelming for this smaller pool.

I need to get something fairly soon as the little one is getting louder every day. I really appreciate any help/suggestions.

Thanks,
jsgip

It depends greatly on your budget and what kind of future pool you are imagining. If the future pool is going to be above ground and up to around 26,000 gallons, then I would try for a two speed 3/4 HP full rated pump and a 22-26" filter. That will cost more up front than the one you proposed but cost less to operate. Long term total cost should be quite a bit less. Two speed pumps can be more difficult to find, they are out there though.

Keep in mind that you are already on the right track. Pump ratings can be very confusing. You won't have any serious problems with anything from 1/2 to 1 HP, max/full/up rated. Likewise a sand filter 18" or larger will be fine. The total cost to operate will vary, but nothing should actually go wrong. A two speed is much better, on the order of half as much cost in electricity to run, but again nothing goes wrong without it.

I bought baically the same package but upgraded to the Hayward 22" sand filter.I have it hooked to a 24" Intex easy set and it works fine. You will end up spending money on the hoses etc, but I think it's worth it....especially since it is the foundation for a bigger pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.