Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugh - Feels more like November than mid April...

1. Back To Top    #1

Ugh - Feels more like November than mid April...

Last year we had high 80s over spring break. The wife is a teacher and was home with the kids telling me every day how we needed a pool!

Fast forward one year - opened the pool a couple of weeks ago (first time, thankyouverymuch). Revved up the heat pump and brought it up from the low 40s into the 70s in just a few days - woot!

Now it's just being stupid outside. Several days we're not getting out of the 40s. There have been a couple of high 60s in there, but the nights are still getting too cool for the heat pump to run. It can't really heat when it's below 50 out, and below 40 it starts losing, so I just shut it off. The other night we got down to 28.

Anyway, just whining about my first-world problems a little. I'm probably looking at a couple hundred bucks, likely more, for electric this month as I try in vain to get this thing up to temp. Lesson learned for next year, I guess, and I'll wait a little longer. I've been able to maintain water temps in the mid 70s, give or take. OK for the kids, but not for this guy... I'm told that summer is in fact going to come this year, though, lol!
    Chris | 16' x 34' 16,000 gallon | IG Vinyl | Pentair Tagelus sand filter | Jandy 2hp epump | AquaPro PRO1300 heat pump | Coverstar auto cover | Taylor K-2006 | built August, 2016.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ugh - Feels more like November than mid April...

Patience Grasshopper!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Move.
    ~22k IG Vinyl (Ocean Midnight), Hayward Tristar 3200VSP, Hayward Sand Filter S3103S, Hayward 4.0 LED, TF-100, High-Iron, 7.5 ph Well Water.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Meowloud View Post
    Move.
    No way - I'm still paying for the pool!
    Chris | 16' x 34' 16,000 gallon | IG Vinyl | Pentair Tagelus sand filter | Jandy 2hp epump | AquaPro PRO1300 heat pump | Coverstar auto cover | Taylor K-2006 | built August, 2016.

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, if it makes you feel any better we've been in the 50s and 60s for pretty much all of April, and then today, BAM! 3"+ of snow... The grass that was already green is now completely hidden under a blanket of white....
    Derek - November 2016 Build, Fill, Cover, and Close. Starting Equipment for the first time in Spring 2017: 26K IG 20x40 Vinyl, All Pentair: IntelliFlo VST 2, Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, EasyTouch 8, IntelliChem, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, MasterTemp 250K NG Heater, GloBrite LED lights, Autelis Automation Integration, CoverStar Leading Edge Automatic Cover, Dolphin Quantum Robotic Cleaner, Interfab G-Force 2 slide, Interfab T7 diving board

6. Back To Top    #6

Move.
    HA! It's going to be 45 in dallas tonight! I went swimming yesterday and built a fire in the stove today.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

OK. Thought long and hard.... wetsuit and a pink, plastic flamingo?

EDIT: It's the Coffee Bar and it is 72 tonight! I may go cut a tag off my mattress!
    ~22k IG Vinyl (Ocean Midnight), Hayward Tristar 3200VSP, Hayward Sand Filter S3103S, Hayward 4.0 LED, TF-100, High-Iron, 7.5 ph Well Water.

8. Back To Top    #8

OK. Thought long and hard.... wetsuit and a pink, plastic flamingo?

EDIT: It's the Coffee Bar and it is 72 tonight! I may go cut a tag off my mattress!
    Ok, but any related photographs posted will be your fault...

9. Back To Top    #9

(loooooong sigh) OK. Deal. But seriously, you've got to at least run with scissors. Seriously.

10. Back To Top    #10

Last week, looking ahead the weekend was supposed to be in the 90's, couldn't wait so I started to open pool. Got it all together and cleaned up. Started heater...... now the forecasts for the weekend is for upper 60's and rain storms. Can't trust weatherman for more than 6hrs. Turned heater off. .....just waiting for summer.
    Rick, Fiberglass.....14 x 30 Viking Laguna - 10,000 gal. Pentair cartridge filter, gas heater, Swg, variable speed pump, Easytouch control system.
    k2006c, k1766

11. Back To Top    #11

Same here, crummy cool front right out of the NW this week.

Thanks a lot cjpwalker....
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

LOL!! Yeah, right! Keep that to yourself.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

My husband calls the Meteorologist a hamster. He may run one way one day, then the other way the next. So used to crazy forecasts that he yells, "what does the weather gerbil say?!"

14. Back To Top    #14

Spring = up.......down.........up.....down. Those downs sure are down there though.....low 60s.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

15. Back To Top    #15

31 last night... The little heat pump that could maintained 81, though!

16. Back To Top    #16

I hear that CJ, I'm roughly 200 miles away from you.

It is looking like a late start to the swim season this year. The last two years
    first day of swimming was the first weekend in May. I know that's not going
    to happen. My pool water is sitting at 55 degrees and should have been at
    least 65 by now.

If it's any consolation the weather service is saying we're in for a warmer
    than usual early and mid summer then back to normal temps for mid august
    to sept.

I hope it's true, we got robbed of many sunny swimming days last summer.
    (I keep a log)
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

17. Back To Top    #17

WOW CJPWalker! That is awesome!!!

EDIT: Rethinking getting a heater because of your reviews.

18. Back To Top    #18

WOW CJPWalker! That is awesome!!!

EDIT: Rethinking getting a heater because of your reviews.
    Wish I could have gone gas, but the heat pump does ok. I modified it some to work better in lower temps, and the pool is kept covered unless we're swimming.

It took forever to get the water above 80 and runs all night to keep it there. I've been able to hit 85 and satisfy the thermostat for the past few days, though. It will be better when the weather improves - less loss from the pool, and more capacity from the heatpump.

I checked the meter and ran the numbers a couple of days ago, and I'm on pace to hit $300 in electricity this month.

19. Back To Top    #19

Ugh - Feels more like November than mid April...

Reading these makes me happy that I pay the premium for SoCal weather

Minus the house outside my back fence lol

Christina
    ~14,000gal 14x30 IG vinyl, Hayward DE4820 filter (everything else is too old to read lol), TF100 Test Kit, TFPC method
    POOL SCHOOL, ABC'S of WATER CHEMISTRY, POOL MATH, SUPPORT TFP!!, TEST KIT!

20. Back To Top    #20

3 days of rain, 30-40 degree highs and light snow flurries. I may have the pool open in June...
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast