Draining pool

Apr 16, 2017
Surprise,AZ
Just moved in, new to pools. Had water tested. Chlorine way to high. No signs of maint. except chlorine floater. Decided to drain pool. Putting water down sewer drain per city. Shut of water to pool. Do any of the valves on system need moved? Also, what should be done/checked while pool is empty?

Attachments

• IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 28
I would question the results given to you ( I assume by a pool store). In practice, there is never a need to drain with high chlorine as it will naturally be consumed and fall. As per the advice you will get on this site, get one of the recommended test kits (TF-100) and test the water yourself. Post the results and you will get immediate feedback/help on what to do.

I can suspect if your chlorine is high also your CYA was high. So draining was not such a bad idea. But a test kit is a must! Go to tftestkit.net

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuck,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for anyone thinking about draining their pool... :shark:

If you plan to drain your pool for other reasons, that is fine, but if the only reason you are draining your pool is due to high Chorine levels, then that is just a waste of water.

Your FC (chlorine) levels will come down pretty quickly once you remove the tablets from your pool.

But the real question is... What is your CYA level. I say this because you do not have a clue if your FC is too high unless you know your CYA level first.

See this chart... https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Assuming your CYA is 100 you need at least 8 ppm of FC.. But the pool store will tell you 8 is too high.

The solution is to stay out of the pool store and start testing you own water.

Let us know if you are interested..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

edit.. to answer your questions, you do not need to move any valves to drain your pool, as the only real way to do it is to use a sump-pump, not the pool equipment.

I would also open the filter and clean it while the pool is empty. (Assuming you have a DE or cartridge filter)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.