Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Draining pool

Just moved in, new to pools. Had water tested. Chlorine way to high. No signs of maint. except chlorine floater. Decided to drain pool. Putting water down sewer drain per city. Shut of water to pool. Do any of the valves on system need moved? Also, what should be done/checked while pool is empty?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just moved in. 1st pool, kidney shaped approx. 11,700gals. Chlorine was through the roof. No sign of maint. Draining pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Draining pool

I would question the results given to you ( I assume by a pool store). In practice, there is never a need to drain with high chlorine as it will naturally be consumed and fall. As per the advice you will get on this site, get one of the recommended test kits (TF-100) and test the water yourself. Post the results and you will get immediate feedback/help on what to do.
    40 year old pool, 35k gal w/spa, gunite replastered July 2016, Hayward Sand filter, Hayward 1.5 hp single speed pump, TF-100, Kreepy Krauly suction side cleaner Dolphin M400

3. Back To Top    #3

I can suspect if your chlorine is high also your CYA was high. So draining was not such a bad idea. But a test kit is a must! Go to tftestkit.net

7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch 8, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!

4. Back To Top    #4

Chuck,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for anyone thinking about draining their pool...

If you plan to drain your pool for other reasons, that is fine, but if the only reason you are draining your pool is due to high Chorine levels, then that is just a waste of water.

Your FC (chlorine) levels will come down pretty quickly once you remove the tablets from your pool.

But the real question is... What is your CYA level. I say this because you do not have a clue if your FC is too high unless you know your CYA level first.

See this chart... https://www.troublefreepool.com/cont...art-slam-shock

Assuming your CYA is 100 you need at least 8 ppm of FC.. But the pool store will tell you 8 is too high.

The solution is to stay out of the pool store and start testing you own water.

Let us know if you are interested..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

edit.. to answer your questions, you do not need to move any valves to drain your pool, as the only real way to do it is to use a sump-pump, not the pool equipment.

I would also open the filter and clean it while the pool is empty. (Assuming you have a DE or cartridge filter)
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.