Making pool walls wider for extra wide coping

Apr 16, 2017
waldwick
I have an unusual situation. My liner pool, built in the 80's has 1 foot concrete walls and a verm bottom. Pics at the bottom. Problem is that we are going to use 2 foot by 4 foot by 2 inch thick limestone as coping. One contractor suggested Pouring an 8 inch deep by 1 foot concrete form around the existing wall and attaching it with rebar for the other half of the coping to sit on. My soil is clay so there is definitely freeze thaw and movement so my concern was whether this would suffice or if we would have to get something below the frost line.

The other issue is that we took away the concrete pool deck to put grass for that classic look. We were concerned that the pool isn't bonded. It does have rebar sticking out of it. Any advice on this would be appreciated as well. Thanks a lot

Wil

Hi. Adding concrete next to the existing can definitely work if done properly but maybe get another contractor out to give an opinion (sorry I don't know how it's done). My concrete collar was more than 8" for my coping though. Definitely call an electrician for an estimate on the bonding. They'll be able to tell you what needs to be done (if anything). Another option is to check out the permit (if the town required them at the time). You'll be able to see the electrical approval and this may give some insight as to what was done.

I have grass around 75% of my pool and love it. I'm with you, I love the look. I also love the functionality of it. Easy on the feet and it's always cool to walk on. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, just wanted to say thumbs up on the grass.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.