Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Making pool walls wider for extra wide coping

1. Back To Top    #1

Making pool walls wider for extra wide coping

I have an unusual situation. My liner pool, built in the 80's has 1 foot concrete walls and a verm bottom. Pics at the bottom. Problem is that we are going to use 2 foot by 4 foot by 2 inch thick limestone as coping. One contractor suggested Pouring an 8 inch deep by 1 foot concrete form around the existing wall and attaching it with rebar for the other half of the coping to sit on. My soil is clay so there is definitely freeze thaw and movement so my concern was whether this would suffice or if we would have to get something below the frost line.

The other issue is that we took away the concrete pool deck to put grass for that classic look. We were concerned that the pool isn't bonded. It does have rebar sticking out of it. Any advice on this would be appreciated as well. Thanks a lot

Wil

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Making pool walls wider for extra wide coping

Hi! Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like a neat project. Can you please try the pics again? They did not come through.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Kim it keeps telling me I don't have permission to

- - - Updated - - -

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b.../unnamed_1.jpg
    http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...10/unnamed.png

Here are links to the photos

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi. Adding concrete next to the existing can definitely work if done properly but maybe get another contractor out to give an opinion (sorry I don't know how it's done). My concrete collar was more than 8" for my coping though. Definitely call an electrician for an estimate on the bonding. They'll be able to tell you what needs to be done (if anything). Another option is to check out the permit (if the town required them at the time). You'll be able to see the electrical approval and this may give some insight as to what was done.

I have grass around 75% of my pool and love it. I'm with you, I love the look. I also love the functionality of it. Easy on the feet and it's always cool to walk on. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, just wanted to say thumbs up on the grass.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery SWCG: Circupool RJ45

5. Back To Top    #5

Hey thanks a lot for the advice. Great to hear another person that has a good experience with grass all the way around.