White Chalky Substance

Feb 5, 2017
El Paso, TX
Hi guys, I have a two part question.

When brushing the pool I've noticed a white chalky substance dispersing.

Normally, only noticed it when brushing the steps of my plaster pool. Yesterday was the first time we braved the frigid pool temperature, in which we noticed the bottoms of our feet were white and the pool surface was slick to the touch and to walk on.

Here's the question, any idea what it is? Is it normal? If not normal, how to get rid of it?

My filter was cleaned by a pool professional in January and we recently did a backwash.

Below is a picture of my hand after touching the pool surface:

e6d99a4589d806bf328f0b3c6bec2d09.jpg

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Test results from 4/8 except when noted:

FC: 6.5 (4/15)
CC: 0
pH: 7.6 (4/15)
TA: 80
CYA: 40
CH: 320

Everything is stable except for my pH which fluctuates D/T an attached spa. The TA ranges between 70-80 depending on when acid is added for the pH.

Your test results look pretty good and don't indicate any other issues. White, chalky residue without indications of scale or other issues in a plaster pool tends to come from paint failing in a plaster pool. We don't recommend painting a pool because the paint only lasts a couple of years and then it makes a mess, becoming chalky, peeling, etc.

The house is a rental, pool was in poor shape when we moved in. The plaster is chipped or actively chipping throughout the entire pool and spa.

And the white, chalky substance is on every part of the plaster that is submerged (walls, steps, spa, floor bottom). The walls and floor are slick to the touch as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.