Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair top canister stuck

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair top canister stuck

How do I open this? I removed the locking ring but can't get the top canister to budge at all. I should add that this is a brand new unit only been installed for a week. I was just curious to look inside and see what it looks like for when I have to remove the cartridge and clean it one day.IMG_0058 (1).JPG
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair top canister stuck

Rich,

The lid should come right off after you remove the locking ring and open the air valve.

Did you try rocking it back and fourth?

I have used a wide common screw driver between the two halves on a couple of older DE filters, but I'm sure it is not recommend and not something I'd want to do on a new install.
    There is a big O-Ring in there that could get damaged if you are not careful.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Rich,

The lid should come right off after you remove the locking ring and open the air valve.

Did you try rocking it back and fourth?

I have used a wide common screw driver between the two halves on a couple of older DE filters, but I'm sure it is not recommend and not something I'd want to do on a new install.
    There is a big O-Ring in there that could get damaged if you are not careful.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yeah I bled the air release valve also. I tried to just pull the top off straight up, I kind of rocked it back and forth but not that much. I'll have to try later. I tried a screw driver a little bit but got nervous I'd break the o-ring so I stopped. It didnt really even budge

Would it matter opening the drain plug?

4. Back To Top    #4

Rich,

I just noticed that you have an AG pool.

Do you have a way to shut off the water going into your pump?

If so, I would remove the drain plug and try it.

I'm not up on AG pools, but I can imagine that if you remove the drain plug, gravity will cause the water in the pool to flow through your skimmer and out the drain hole in the filter.

I did notice that the manual says to stuff a rag in the skimmer line.. ???

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah just re-read the manual. It says to drain the filter. I try that. Thank you I do have valves to shut the flow of water

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a new Pentair CC200 and the top is very difficult to remove. I had to stick a screwdriver, or some flat bladed object, in the gap and wedge very gently to get it started. I removed the lid before I installed just to see what was in there and it was a chore. I removed it again after installation just so I could rotate the lid where I wanted and again had trouble getting it off. I have seen a video where Pentair suggested tapping the lid with a rubber dead blow hammer if needed to remove the lid but that didn't work for me and I didn't want to whack it too hard. Hopefully it becomes easier over time.
    24' x 52" 13.5K gal. Doughboy Autumn Breeze AG pool. Pentair CC200 Cartridge Filter. Pentair Dynamo 1HP 2 speed pump. Dolphin E-10 robot. TF-100 Test Kit. Confer CCX-AG with curve add on pool steps. My Pool Build.

7. Back To Top    #7

yeah I'm worried to stick a screw driver in there. Maybe I can use a rubber mallet. I haven't had a chance to use drain the filter yet. I plan on having my wife hold the bottom, while I hold the top.

8. Back To Top    #8

If you do use a screwdriver or flat blade don't stick in the screwdriver perpendicular to the filter top. Try to get it in almost tangentially so that more blade is in a gap, if possible. Then just gently rock the screwdriver and move it to different locations.
    24' x 52" 13.5K gal. Doughboy Autumn Breeze AG pool. Pentair CC200 Cartridge Filter. Pentair Dynamo 1HP 2 speed pump. Dolphin E-10 robot. TF-100 Test Kit. Confer CCX-AG with curve add on pool steps. My Pool Build.

9. Back To Top    #9

would you suggest angling the screw driver up toward the top or down toward the floor

10. Back To Top    #10

Sorry for the late reply. I've been out of pocket. Just keep the screwdriver (or something flat like a scraper) level with the gap and rock it up and down.