Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Searching for filters

1. Back To Top    #1

Searching for filters

I have a Jandy LXI pool heater and the high limits have gone bad. I read on some other threads about checking the bypass and cleaning the filters. Can anyone advise me as to where these items would be found?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Searching for filters

Welcome to TFP Jerry,

If you can post a couple of pictures of your pad, we can look at it and help you figure this out more easily.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have a bypass, it'll be a piece of pipe with a valve between the inlet and outlet of the heater, and the filter they're talking about is the main pool filter.

If the temperature high limits are bad, the only recourse is to replace them.

How did you determine that the high limits are bad?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Actually only one is bad (open on an ohm meter) but I figured I should probably replace both and I also feel like something else had to have caused it. I service furnaces pretty often and on them bad high limits/ flame roll outs/ etc are usually a symptom of another problem.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

As to your original question of checking the bypass and cleaning the filters I would have to assume they're talking about the pool filter not a filter in the heater, never heard of one except on high dollar efficient ones. As to the bypass, the Lxi has a bypass in the in/out header. Threads in and can be unscrewed and checked for integrity, please google a video to know what your looking for as it has an adjustment screw that you don't want to move w/o the proper temp rise kit. If you have a limit out and the heater is off it needs replacement. They do wear out and if the Lxi is anything like the LT/LX its totally normal. In the LT/LX the limits sit in a well against a brass screw and were prone to scale build-up by electrolysis or reaction to different metals touching with water involved.

GL!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you Joel Fitz!