Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Full drain, Adding Borates vs. CSI danger-zone

1. Back To Top    #1

Full drain, Adding Borates vs. CSI danger-zone

Greetings,

Did a full drain a month ago (CH was ~1100 - Phoenix ) and would like to add borates back in as I had in the past. My pH tends to climb quickly, so the borates were a blessing!

One thing I'm struggling with is the CSI when I play around with the calculator... After plugging in assumed borates level, I seem to be uncomfortably towards the edge of the CSI range.

NOW: 74
    FC 3.6 (on SWG); CC 0
    pH 7.6
    TA 100
    CH 260 (it will drift upward somewhat rapidly during the Phoenix evaporative summer)
    Salt - 4k
    CYA 70
    Borates - somewhere just above 0 (residual from a couple hundred gallons of old water leftover)

I've read here to drop the TA to 60-80 *first* before adding borates. But when I go to the calc and plug in assumed values of TA=70 and Borates=45 (all other numbers as shown above), the CSI is -0.56, "potential to become corrosive to plaster."

Should I be concerned with this? Babysit it and just be extra cautious until my CH & water temp comes up (bringing the CSI back from the deep end - hehe)?

I appreciate any advice!

-Aaron
    11k IG Plaster, SGS Breeze 540 SWG, 2005 Triton TR-100 Sand filter, by Shasta Pools - probably built ~1997

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Full drain, Adding Borates vs. CSI danger-zone

Do all of above except let your pH hang out at 7.8, lower it to 7.6 when it gets to 8.0 and you'll be good.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Agreed.

I just did a full water replacement too. My CH is lower than yours, just compensate by keeping the pH a little higher ... since we both know how quickly the CH will go up
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Great. Thank you both!!
    11k IG Plaster, SGS Breeze 540 SWG, 2005 Triton TR-100 Sand filter, by Shasta Pools - probably built ~1997

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Agreed.

I just did a full water replacement too. My CH is lower than yours, just compensate by keeping the pH a little higher ... since we both know how quickly the CH will go up
    Jblizzle-

saw where you are in Tucson also. I just drained and refilled my pool because CH got so high. Are you saying that keeping the pH a little higher helps keep CH down here in Tucson? New user here.
    In-Ground Pebble Tec installed 2005/10,000 gallons/Magna Sweep cleaning system/RJ-30 Circupool SWG/Rock Waterfall/Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VS pump/Hayward Swimclear C3025 cartridge filter/Hayward H400IDL2 gas heater

6. Back To Top    #6

No. The CH will rise constantly. The higher pH will keep the CSI in acceptable range while the CH is low. As the CH rises, you need to start lowering the pH. Check out PoolMath.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!