Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Living in Gilbert,AZ

1. Back To Top    #1

Living in Gilbert,AZ

I'm here to learn about a full pool drain, cyanuric acid and chlorine. I deal with a lot of evaporation and struggling to keep chlorine levels right. From Alaska, now Arizona for a couple years.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Living in Gilbert,AZ

Hello and welcome to TFP! A few pages here and you'll learn a tremendous amount. I suggest you take a few minutes to review the links below in my signature (don't forget to update yours too). You can skip the SLAM link for now. The others will get you started.

May we ask, we did you decide to do a full drain? Acid wash, high CH or CYA? Something else?

Nice to have you with us at TFP.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I did a full drain because my electrical system was shot all winter. I finally lost control of the algae a week or two ago. I just got my electrical lines fixed. I also haven't done a full drain since I've owned the home two years ago. I wanted to start clean this year.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome Neighbor, this site is a great resource and you'll get the hang of the TFP method quickly.
    11,507 Gallons | In Ground Pebble Tec | QC XHP In Ground Cleaning System | System 3 MM Sta-Rite Filter | Pentair VS-T 3050 Pump | Pentair Ultra Temp 120 H/C | QuickPure 3 Ozone | K2006 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the welcome! I completed my drain, swept out all the dirt, no green staining thankfully, some white deposits on the water line tile. I gave the pool a light, 1/4 liquid chlorine 3/4 water, spray down with a gallon total using a pesticide type sprayer from Home Depot. I washed out my filters then refilled the pool and added 1 1/4 gal. of 10% liquid chlorine. I finished adding 3 lbs. of granular CYA yesterday. I set my pool to run from 9am-3pm. I retested my chlorine and found FC 1 ppm. I added 16 oz more. During my CYA test I can still see the black dot on the bottom of the tube. Is it supposed to disappear or just become a little blurry? I was thinking of adding another pound of granular stabilizer. How long do I wait after adding the chlorine to add more stabilizer?
    Built 2004, 12,000gal. IG pebbletec pool, cartridge filters, Whisperflo WFE-6 pump, Taylor K-2006. Owner since 2015, still need to learn! Gilbert, AZ