Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy pool

I'm cleaning up my pool, I let it turn to a swamp over the winter. I've been slamming it and it is now blue, but very cloudy. I'm not sure if I just need to keep slamming or if I need to fix other rings. I know My TA is low & cal is low. My CYA was 0 so I have added that already. Here are my other readings.
    TA 40
    CYA 40
    Cal 75
    FC 15
    Ph 7.2
    Bromine 10
    45k, IG, vinyl, Hayward

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy pool

I am really new to all this. I am sort of dealing with the same. Advice to me was keep slamming till clear with obvious vacuuming and scrubbing. Let filter do its job. Backwash and rinse several times. Vaccines to waste.

Hopefully you will get more knowledgable people answering but I wanted to at least answer.

3. Back To Top    #3

I was new to this last year and had the same thing. We have a sand filter and it took about 2 1/2 weeks to sparkle after all the algae was killed. Take pictures everyday so you can compare the difference. you may not think there is improvement until you look at the pictures.
    21k vinyl IG grecian, hayward S244S sand filter, hayward power-flo LX 1.5 HP Pump, 10+ years? (came with house), taylor k-2006 test kit, aquabot optima cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

With a CYA of 40, your SLAM FC level is "16", so make sure to maintain that FC shock level 24/7 until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria listed on the SLAM page (link in my sig). A low CH won't apply to you with a vinyl pool, so no worries there. There rest deals with watching your filter pressure and cleaning when it hits about 25% increase, frequent brushing, and maintaining that FC level. Make sure to inspect all areas of the pool for any algae trapped somewhere. Good luck.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks y'all! Do I need to worry about the TA?

6. Back To Top    #6

It's a bit low. A little baking soda might not hurt to bring it up to at least 50, but don't go crazy right now. Just a little and continue to focus on the FC maintenance.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!