Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 3-way switch on if both are on or off but otherwise works as expected

1. Back To Top    #1

3-way switch on if both are on or off but otherwise works as expected

Basically my 3-way is working like an xnor gate when I'd like it to be a xor gate. If both switches are on or off the light is on. If they are opposite the lights are off. Other than flipping a switch upside down, can this be fixed? It's a minor annoyance for some lighting around my pool deck and plugs.

Thanks!
    77000L (20500 gallon) vinyl in-ground chlorine double roman pool, 35'x17', Hayward SP3200VSP, Jandy Lite2 LJ400N heater, Hayward S244TC filter, *deleted* Hayward chlorinator, Taylor CK1004FAS+CYA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 3-way switch on if both are on or off but otherwise works as expected

Are these pool lights or landscape lights?

Sounds like the hot wire is not properly wired into the switches. Do the switches have independent hot leads or is one switch sending a runner out to the other?

A picture of the wiring is worth a thousand words...

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Should be as simple as swapping some wires on the back. You might want to check some wiring diagrams.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Wish I was more technical!

These are just landscape lights. As far as I can tell it's all correct in that each switch operates independently of the other's position (which is all I've been able to find for common wiring problems). The wiring is about 15 years old and I only noticed this after changing the switches from toggle to decora, but it could have been there from the start. I know if I turn a switch upside down it "works to my liking" but I thought there should be another way.

If I had accidentally swapped a traveller for the common or load, could this have happened?

5. Back To Top    #5

You know, 3 way switches I don't think are directional. Just flip one over and call it a day
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

To answer the other question I'll have to pull the switches and check for hot and travellers. Without doing that I'd guess that only one has the hot and the other has the load.

- - - Updated - - -

That's kind of the answer I was hoping for 😎

7. Back To Top    #7

Ben,

I take it you want the light to light only when either switch is moved up and you want the light to turn off if either switch is moved down.

Assuming your light have always worked as you describe above, you can fix it my taking either switch and swapping the two "traveler" wires. (Leave the Common wire and the Neutral wire, as is..)

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the suggestion. Will take a look tomorrow. I appreciate the help from all!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Ben,

I take it you want the light to light only when either switch is moved up and you want the light to turn off if either switch is moved down.

Assuming your light have always worked as you describe above, you can fix it my taking either switch and swapping the two "traveler" wires. (Leave the Common wire and the Neutral wire, as is..)

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Worked like a charm! Thanks Jim!!

10. Back To Top    #10

Ben,

Anytime, thanks for the feedback, as it might help others..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.