Old pool, new wter

May 29, 2009
I've just refilled my pool after draining about 7/8ths of the water due to high calcium hardness and some broken tiles. My numbers are FC, TC are.25 or less so CC is 0, PH is 6.8, TA is 140, CH is 220 and CYA is unreadable (somewhere under 25). I've read I should use bleach upon startup. Any pointers would be really appreciated.

The first thing to do is to add 2 ppm of chlorine. Bleach is a great way to add chlorine.

I would raise the PH just a little, say to 7.0, with Borax.

You should raise the CYA level to around 40 to 50 with CYA/stabilizer/conditioner.

Once you have things more under control, you can fine tune your levels further.

mavs215 said:
What causes calcium hardness to rise?
Well, calcium. (Oh so helpful...)

There are various sources. Fill water; but given your current level and massive recent replacement, that is okay. The plaster surface of your pool; a low pH over time will leach calcium out of the plaster. Then there's calcium hypochlorite powder, a common source of chlorine and often called "shock" by the pool stores.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.