Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Caretaker 99 with 2-speed pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Caretaker 99 with 2-speed pump?

Does anyone have experience running a Caretaker in floor cleaning system with a 2-speed (or VS) pump on low speed?

My pool used the Caretaker system as the only returns.
    Currently, the system uses a single-speed pump.

Considering a change to a two-speed pump, but will the 5-port valve still work properly when the pump is on low speed? I rely on the Caretaker mostly for circulation throughout the pool--it has never been highly effective for cleaning so we supplement it with a Kreepy Krauly.

Thanks!
    TF-100 w/ Speedstir :)
    ~9000 IG gunnite pool, attached 6-8 person spa. Features: spa spills to pool, waterfall feeds spa, and 3 fountains in a "river" feed pool.
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 1.5 filter pump, Hayward Super II 2.0 booster, Hayward Swimclear 4030, Hayward H350. Caretaker in-floor pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Caretaker 99 with 2-speed pump?

On low, it is doubtful that the heads will pop up and rotate correctly. The water will still recirculate so if you don't care about the cleaning, that might be an option.

This is why I always recommend having a separate set of wall returns when someone gets an in floor system.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!