Why not buy a new test kit?

May 10, 2012
North DFW, TX
Have a K-2006 Complete (FAS-DPD). Bought it from TFT back in 2012 when Dave offered them. I had a K-2006 not FAS-DPD and was comfortable using it which is why I got the one I did instead of TF-100.

Anyway, other than the reagents for FC/CC, PH, and CYA, which got used up and replaced along the way, I have not replaced the other reagents. My pool chemistry has been such that those for the other tests are not required as often. Upon opening this season, I ran the full battery of tests and realized that my R-0011L was "goopy"--hard to squeeze out drops. My CH numbers reflect similar to what I was getting last fall and in line where they should be. Also, my R-0870 powder is/has been grayish and chunkier than if new.

BUT, I have neighbor that bought a new kit last fall (should be fresh without question) and we tested my water with both his and my kits and readings were same. Still, I am picky and won't risk inaccurate tests over a few dollars but that begs my question, why not buy a new test kit, even if everything about your kit but the reagents is still in pristine condition, rather than replacing all the reagents?

I did the math on this using TFTestkits costs and to replace all of my reagents with the smaller sizes would come to a little over $70 plus shipping/tax. I can buy a TF-100 for that and a K-2006 Complete for less. I know some reagents last longer than others and some are obviously used more than others but just using a general rule of thumb (my stretching the limits notwithstanding) that you re-up all of your reagents every two years, wouldn't it be more cost effective to just buy a new test kit every two years? I know this means replacing perfectly good boxes and testing vials, but if it is the same price or less (with the TF-100, for the same price, you get more reagent to start with and with the K-2006, the cost for a new kit is less than replacing all reagents), it seems the logical thing to do. Then you have a backup vial and boxes in case something happens to the one you are currently using.

One last thing, if I just replace a few reagents right now, my issue is that I would not want to use the same bottles that are in my K-2006, especially something like the goopy R-0011L. I would not want to risk any contamination by putting new stuff in old bottles, even if they were completely empty. But I would want to use my K-2006 box if I did not get an entirely new kit. That is and has been my only issue with ordering replacement reagents from TFTestkits. I am so appreciative of this forum and longtime members that I want to send my business to the owners. I only wish that I could get ALL reagents sized to fit my case. (Of course, this is a thinking out loud moment because as I did the math above, it really makes no sense to replace all or most reagents, rather buy a new kit for same price or cheaper!)

Sorry I took so long to land that plane but as I was tabbing up what new reagents I needed, the light bulb went off!!! This probably has been addressed before but maybe this will be food for thought for those newbies or folks that have a less than ideal test kit and are in need of fresh reagents. In my mind and math, if you need to replace all your reagents, DON'T...buy the TF-100 for the same cost or less!

Thanks, Jason.

I get so many emails, it is hard to say if I did not get or just missed it. I will pay closer attention next March.

Still thinking that at this point, a new kit is the better value vs. replacing all the reagents. Since I only "need" R-0011L plus CYA and probably soon R-0870 and R-0003, maybe I limp through this season with what I have, double checking with my neighbors kit, if something seems amiss.

I will say that since I have switched to primarily bleach, occasionally cal-hypo, and the rare trichlor tabs for out of town situations, my numbers stay really good as long as I stay on top of things. Except for times of heavy rain or the soon to be ending road construction all around my house (things just stay dusty), I almost "know" what I will need to add before I even test. Once I get past the first month, I rarely test my water more than 2X per week for FC/CC and PH, once a month for anything else, maybe!

As dreamy a relationship with my pool as I could imagine...until the Legend or a main component gets fussy--luckily I am handy enough to diagnose and do all my repairs. I can say that it has been since 1997 that I had a pool service to my house (save for complete remodel in 2002, which doesn't count since while they were doing that, I poured a new slab for equipment pad and replumbed all of my equipment!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.