Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with Finish and Cleaning System Desicions!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with Finish and Cleaning System Desicions!!

Hi! We are pool novices and are looking at several different contractors for our very first pool. We have two big questions we are having difficulty answering. We have a small backyard in the Houston area. And we have 3 kiddos.

1. What finish to choose? We are between PebbleSheen, Quartzscape and a new Ecofinish (AquaBright). We are looking for something smooth and durable. The later product is relatively new and we are having trouble finding good information on it.

2. In- floor cleaning system vs. vacuum/robot style cleaner?

Our pool would essentially be a rectangle, 15x25 feet and take up most of our yard, with an elevated spa. Thanks in advance!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help with Finish and Cleaning System Desicions!!

Hello and welcome to TFP! Since I have a fiberglass pool, I'm worthless on question #1 , but for #2, I think you should consider a robot/dolphin-type product. The electric cleaners have really come a long way and gained a lot of popularity as they are "plug-in & drop-in" for a couple hours, versus potential plumbing problems and/or another booster pump for water-reliant pressure cleaning. I'm sure you'll get a few replies. Nice to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

M,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all first time pool builders...

As far a finish goes.. try to walk on it in a pool that is already done. I have a pebblesheen like finish and find that it is a lot more like sandpaper than I thought it would be. The little 3" samples are useless..

In the old days when your only choice was between a suction side cleaner, pressure side cleaner, and in-floor cleaners, then the in-floor system had a lot of advantages. Today, just like the old black rotary dial telephones, water powered cleaners that require you to run your pump to clean your pool are a thing of the past. Robots are great today and I can't see them doing anything but getting better.

Just so that we are both on the same page... a robot cleaner is powered by a small DC voltage, it is not connected to your pool's plumbing and the pool pump(s) do not have to be running to clean your pool.

Thanks for posting and good luck with your new pool,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

We a few threads about AquaBright and one of our forum Experts is an AquaBright installer in SoCal. His name is Brian Davis (bdavis466) and if you PM him I'm sure he'll be happy to walk you through the pros and cons of AquaBright. It's a neat new surface process (although the underlying science and technology has been around for decades) and I will seriously consider it when the day comes for me to redo my surface.

I also agree with the above comments as I just became a robot owner - they are AWESOME. Don't link your pool's cleanliness to having to run the pumps, it's a massive waste of money. Plus in-floor systems add $5k-$8k to a pool cost whereas a high end robot goes for $1200. You can do a lot of nice upgrades with all that money you'll save.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

I concur about the roughness of pebblesheen. It is a little rougher than I thought would be, my 8 year old scrapes her toes against the steps often. The look of pebblesheen is amazing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    As far a finish goes.. try to walk on it in a pool that is already done. I have a pebblesheen like finish and find that it is a lot more like sandpaper than I thought it would be. The little 3" samples are useless..
    15K Gal Gunite Pool, White Pebble Surface (unkown), Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, SunTouch automation, sta-rite plm100 filter, Hayward AquaRite AQR-15 SWG.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the info!! I've learned so much already!! Reading about robots and intrigued. Think we will definitely go that way. But I'm learning something else. We've met with 5 different builders and ALL of them say NO to Salt Water Generators and suggest chlorine pool with Ozonator. They claim SWG will cause corrosion. Are they just lying? I see this seems to be the pool equipment of choice among many folks on the forum. I see I have more reading to do...

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Meredithmed View Post
    Thanks for the info!! I've learned so much already!! Reading about robots and intrigued. Think we will definitely go that way. But I'm learning something else. We've met with 5 different builders and ALL of them say NO to Salt Water Generators and suggest chlorine pool with Ozonator. They claim SWG will cause corrosion. Are they just lying? I see this seems to be the pool equipment of choice among many folks on the forum. I see I have more reading to do...
    Yep, you're in Texas and there is a huge push in Texas by PBs to do away with SWGs. They can't get their subs to warranty their work when an SWG is present and PBs don't want to be left holding the warranty card. Turns out though, if you look at their complaints about "corrosion", it's all B/S and mostly the fault of a pool owner not keeping their pool water properly balanced. The sad thing is, every pool that uses chlorine is a salt water pool. All chlorinating products add salt and it is not uncommon for a pool that's been running for a few years to have as much salt in them as any SWG pool. SO it's all just a game with the warranties.

Read about it here - Texas vs. SWG - What is the deal

If you're willing to push harder for it, you can get a salt system. You may just need to be a little more pushy with the PBs.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates