Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New pool build. What to ask builder

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool build. What to ask builder

We are upgrading to an in ground. Pool builder is coming next week to see the sight and get a design plan. Is there anything specific I should be asking or looking out for. Thanks.
    18'x36' in ground vinyl 26,000 gal 1hp Jandy pump/sand filter truclear swcg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool build. What to ask builder

A few things to consider:
    - Please update your location under your user name. Your location influences many aspects of pool care
    - What type of in-ground (plaster, fiberglass or vinyl)?
    - Anticipated size will help the viewers
    - Ask for type of motor, speed, and HP
    - Filter type and size
    - Method of chlorination; if SWG, get size as well
    - Type/number of lighting

Those are some starters.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Don't let them talk you into one of their 'package deals' unless you can tweak it a little.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. We're looking at a 18x36 vinyl. The kids would like a slide. Is th a t something that should go in now? Maybe all it later?

5. Back To Top    #5

There is a thread about what you would add or do different that grumpie started that excellent. I still don't know how to link items but I'm sure Kimkats will be along shortly to link it for you
    Good luck with everything

current build<--free form gunite 34x21 18k gallons 4ft-7ft deep,Pentair 3HP VSP, wisperflo 2hp, 520 cartridge filter, 400k heater, ez touch 8 with screen logic, ic40 swg. 4ft sheer decent, 2 led deck jets, 5 globrite leds,rock spa waterfall. Mocha travertine deck, noche coping. Tropics blue custom mix with LOTS of beads and shells

6. Back To Top    #6

J,

Do not let them talk you into any magic sanitization systems like, UV system, or Ozone System, or Mineral system "to reduce the amount of chlorine you need"... All magic, but no rabbit..

I would also think twice before buying an in-floor cleaning system..

I lived in Bangor, many years ago. It is where I met my wife of 50 years.. but I don't hold that against the city..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

You rang?? HI! I can't wait to see what you have planned!

Here is the link Will was talking about:

All the things I wish I knew before our build

Share EVERYthing here first before you sign. We have been doing this for quite a while so know what is good and what is not.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the info. I'll post more after I talk to PB.

9. Back To Top    #9

Attachment 59258Attachment 59258Attachment 59259

This is where i would like to install the pool,but not sure if its possible with the grade of my back yard thoughts? And yes the pine tree is going away. Sorry for the crude lines, edited with my phone.

10. Back To Top    #10

It can go anywhere you want it BUT it will cost you more there as you will have to have some kind of retaining wall to keep the rain water from coming down into the pool.

Why do you want it there? Not saying it is a bad spot. I just want to learn how you think and what your thoughts are so I can help spend your money to make sure you get what you want.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

The septic system is between the house and existing pool. Would like to keep it close to house for two reasons. 1 is less pipe and wire. 2nd is further out continues to drop and gets really wet in the spring. It's a toss up build a retaining wall or bring in more fill to fit pool up beside the house on the high ground.

12. Back To Top    #12

Very good reasons!

The retaining wall can be made in such a way it is part of the pool experience. A sitting area that is pretty if done right.

Kim

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok PB just left got a plan to deal with water and drainage. So they will do a "hard bottom",forgot what he called it. 18'x36' w/ 3' patio(I'll add more later ) 2 Jandy pro series led lights. 8' steps, Jandy 1hp pump, Js series 24" sand filter w/ fusion chlorine feeder w/ mineral dipenseser. (Is this the magic You speek of Jim?)

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I highly recommend you get more than one quote, if you are able, as there are probably more options out there than the one idea from this one PB.
    Money thing I wish I would have known about and requested is unions on everything on my equiptment pad. With unions, when you have to replace equiptment, it's an easy screw in type job. We only have unions on our salt cell.
    Also, get as many ch deck as you can possible afford. Furniture takes up a lot more space than you think it will.
    For cleaning, a robot is really the best way to go!

Have fun! Congratulations on your future upgrade!!
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

15. Back To Top    #15

Yeah the mineral part of it is the "magic" Jim talked of. It causes major problems down the road AND it is $$ to replace. Tell him no thank you on that.

Try to get model numbers for all of the equipment please so we can check it out.

Was it vermiculite he said he would put on the bottom? That is what most use.

Kim

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jgonyer View Post
    Ok PB just left got a plan to deal with water and drainage. So they will do a "hard bottom",forgot what he called it. 18'x36' w/ 3' patio(I'll add more later ) 2 Jandy pro series led lights. 8' steps, Jandy 1hp pump, Js series 24" sand filter w/ fusion chlorine feeder w/ mineral dipenseser. (Is this the magic You speek of Jim?)
    Yes, that is the 'magic' that Jim was talking about. You, for sure, don't want that. It adds copper and other stuff that just ends up messing up your pool in a fairly short time. Remember I mentioned 'tweaking' a package. This is a prime example. You want some sort of SWG or liquid chlorine dispenser system instead of the 'magic' fusion thing.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

17. Back To Top    #17

No it wasn't vermiculite it was a cement type base.

18. Back To Top    #18

Trees are gone. All prepared for retaining wall. Blocks will be here Thursday. Side note. Got rid of the mineral injection thing and going swc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

19. Back To Top    #19

Nice progress! That is some good cleaning up!

Kim

20. Back To Top    #20

Wall is done! digging starts this week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast