Our first tftest results...a little confused

I'm baaaaaack.... (thanks again for putting up with all this)

A new development, and 2 questions...

My husband got all gung-ho this morning when I brought him up to speed on our pool situation and he just left for the pool store to spend money we don't have :roll: .

He's getting a bigger/better pump/filter (3/4-1 hp & sand), something for aeration and he's looking for something like a Poolskim, but cheaper.

Question #1- If he swaps out the current filter/pump today, right after I impregnated it with CYA, is he going to get acid burns on his hands or anything? Is it safe? Have I crossed the stupid question threshold?

Question #2- I know some of the CYA is on the bottom of the pool (undissolved), but most of it will be removed with the filter. So, if he installs a new filter/pump today, how long should I wait to measure the CYA level again and restart this process?

The pool store guy told him that a 1hp pump/filter would be too strong and would suck the pool walls into the intake.

So, I called our other pool store option and got a similar answer. "Because you don't have an in-wall skimmer we can't help you. We don't even touch those kind of pools."

Arghhh!

Since you all have been so helpful, I thought I'd give you an update.

8 days ago, I added CYA for the first time. Then, 4 days ago, we got a new filter/pump (we just got the Intex 4000 gph to avoid monkeying around with the Intex fittings) and I assumed a lot of the CYA I'd added was thrown away with the old filter. Not knowing how much exactly, I decided to wait the full week to test again and proceed from there.

I tested it today and CYA is at about 28. I'll be adding 9 more oz. of CYA tomorrow morning. (It's raining tonight.) The present goal being 40. (Since ideal is a range...how should you decide on the right target when starting at zero?)

I have yet to address the high TA (310), other than buying muriatic acid and the pvc parts I think it'll take to build a makeshift aerator (fingers crossed).

Nightly testing usually gives me FC 1 or .5 and CC of 1 or 2. Sadly, I've already forgotten the pool school details about chlorine. All I remember is keep FC at 4(?). I've never seen it that high,yet I am adding bleach every night according to the pool calculator with a goal of 7. I'm going over to re-read it now...

Again, thanks for being here!

If your CC is that high... you need to shock. For a CYA of 30- refer to the chart for your recommended FC levels. Shock level is 12.

Read How to Shock your pool in Pool School.

You want to raise it to 12 and hold it there until the FC holds overnight.

Glad you were able to find a pump upgrade. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.