skimmer plates for closing

my question is for closing a pool and leaving the water level at its normal place the (middle of my skimmer) or even above the skimmer and drain it down when i open, and get a skimmer plate to block the water. i would love to know if this is a good method for closing, im in nj and it does freeze. my skimmer seems lower then most when i drop below the skimmer im at 18 inches down, its a lot takes up a lot more of the cover area because of that drop i have to get a bigger cover. then its holds so much rain water. not to mention when i have to reach down in their for some reason its almost scary im gonna fall in. with the water level much higher it would alleviate a lot of these issues. i guess im asking if its practical and safe to close an inground pool without draing it with the skimmer plate in a cold part of the country.

We use both the Aquadoor cover and a skimmer cover that has the foam with a hard plastic plate that just pops into the skimmer opening. Here in the Northern part of Missouri we have had good luck with both so far. Like the Aquadoor a little better because it seems to stay on through the entire winter

i was looking at the aquadoor its what sparked my interest, where do you keep your water level? do you vacume out the water inside skimmer to the filter like normal closing after you put the door on? has your skimmer face plate thats attached with the screws ever crack from the freeze thaw cycle?

I have tried them all, if your water freezes I wouldn't recommend any of them. The ice can move them. Simply put a gizmo in your skimmer, lower the water to below the lip of the skimmer, cut up a cheap pool noodle and place these in the mouth of the skimmer. When the water that fills the skimmer (from rain or melted snow) it will expand and the noodle and gizmo will collapse with that pressure. Your skimmer will be intact.

i dont want to drop the water anymore, in fact i want to raise it above the skimmer face plate, that pressure should keep it the aquadoor sealed. and even if it did leak the gizmo will do its job and allow room for ice expansion my only worry is the face plate cracking and liner might shift making it harder to screw a new face plate back on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.